April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Oh bugger, I didn’t even think of the Easter HAL! There’s some eggs I don’t want to wait on any longer :/ Set up the new bator today and will load it up tomorrow!

5A4B4236-9343-49FD-9B77-77EF1C7A5023.jpeg

For those of you who incubate eggs collected from your own flock, what is your method to decide which eggs to incubate?
Hatch everything and anything??? 😂😂😂

This year I’m focusing on olive eggers, so I’m collecting from that pen. Whiting True Blue x Welsummer or Marans, but there could be some sneaky Polish thrown in… It’s more a test run of the new incubator and I’ll pull Karen (yes, he’s a boy) when it’s better weather. He needs to go in with Goldy for buff laced eggs. Kevin isn’t going to be an issue now unfortunately. He hasn’t fully lost his feet yet and is getting out around the yard again, but I can’t imagine him mating successfully. Otherwise all the eggs are clean, evenly shaped, etc and I’m not sure what else I'd look for to determine

Hatch everything and anything??? 😂😂😂

...I’ll pull Karen (yes, he’s a boy) when it’s better weather. He needs to go in with Goldy for buff laced eggs. Kevin isn’t going to be an issue now unfortunately. He hasn’t fully lost his feet yet and is getting out around the yard again, but I can’t imagine him mating successfully...
OK, I have to ask! Is there a story about how Karen earned his name? And what's wrong with Kevin's feet?

OK, I have to ask! Is there a story about how Karen earned his name? And what's wrong with Kevin's feet?
We had hoped the two buff laced Polish were pullets, so we named them Karen and Karen’s Friend because we couldn’t tell them apart 😂 The look they give you as chicks and the funky head poof just made me think of a Karen lol. Eventually we decided the second needed their own name and I call him Kevin. We’re a bit split on his name, half the family calls him Kyle. A few weeks ago, we had a cold snap of -29°F and his dumb butt decided it would be a good idea to head to the back of the yard, just stand in the snow. 60+ chicks from tiny D’Uccles to massive roos, no one died or really got frostbite… But dumb Kevin had to be an idiot and both feet were frozen solid 😭 I was checking on everyone constantly, but at those temps it happens so fast!

E8A32DCA-3E26-417C-A9D8-E780B01B4029.jpeg
88A1274E-DBE6-4A03-9FC9-67B29E443402.jpeg

my eggs have shipped as of today and should be here Thurs (said that for the ones in the incubator now and they came on Fri so we will see). at least I don't work till 11 on Thurs so should have time to go before and I am off Fri. :) I know there are Lavender Orps in there, there should be Lavender Brahma's but not really sure since she sent me a message saying she hoped she sent the right eggs. haaahaa. The main ones were the Orps so i am good with anything else (I switched breeds the other day for a couple of the eggs) so it will be fun to see what comes. :)

Then I am adding in some for a guy in my town that I hatch for. those are from his Spitzhaubens.

and if room will add some from my frizzle girl to see if those eggs are fertilized since some want eggs from her (including the breeder that I get my eggs from).

So exciting. I would love 2 but no way to talk hubby into that. Haahaa. Hard enough getting him to agree to expand the run.
I found an old unused amazon card in my purse, and went with the smaller kebonnix (360 knockoff), so it only ended up being like $60. I made more than that off this batch of chicks, so I think it was a totally justified purchase. 😂

Back
Top Bottom