April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Yay! Here we go again...
I've loaded the two incubators an hour ago, with 42 eggs total! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

This includes three extra eggs stacked on top to replace clears or quitters. Barnyard mixes all, from my own flock. Hatch date April 5th - on the "Pink Full Moon" date. This group I'm calling "Chili." They are for a few friends who want to start their own flocks. My previous hatches in Feb. ("Alfredo," 26 chicks 5 weeks old) and March ("Barbeque," 29 chicks, 1 week old) are to replace my aging-out layers and stock the freezer. They are in my basement brooder and an outdoor brooder coop and all doing great!

Anyway, here are the "Chili" eggs:
c_WgdYkUGaTkeXB-6UGbqaHs8Cz56ZOcRzmvaBk3JszvgJl52Dr7dxH5kQzPcJcFoY9PLPhNwtm98kLwRW9Szk_LjDd6Pn3ddEvtk5KYAROmnZXB9uenbbci-VF-TPCGreDZ5kTLi4RI1GDIUON9svmCi9_cHyBeSWpTj2thF8QxTxEt3UrtYsnJ5FrH7FSJW2oJz8fCmsWq1p4Xxgj--o6K6-IBbdm2AuYgm76iDp3kAm1OotPC6-eXZlmEMOCyfFjYmSCV4s26OTfTxUtgLD08mj2S-PniKvrqfQdEKPeWOhbNQ2w8ZsOu7-WoSkAD27d38mpn4UBlcSJBT1c0a6pxf2ZzIePnZ2Ylt0MRh88TY3lEPg2oOVmnJuaRkM6VcCUM3wQloHOhxQOag26ZZfgNVeLz8J9oFaZ660ZmmbfCpGiIu7O5ixrP-9p55ijpTWSYo-m82ASpY_1E_7uIC_GRzKXItc_jLGOq1oYDJq6hQHuVt49lEZigtfcqgcyfeWBQX435sNW_kDcsX5EhVfy4lddCULGB4FLwEPRZk06AFebZTr9w0fc7TVmCxga0nbinSztx3qyKAEPZKVt5iwTllOkDb-Q0PW9g5WvfGj0cPfUPYutgfFife8BcKOUTFYRzz3HfAUIoxWEouhU3gLs48qo8l4g_FHcVzQ693p4Y861BjnK6yUCaDZBlXJyrZoHXZjHO4kfxQZDHTii2jxs8Fc0E21Fdmk05Eqwa7h37yrg1V6YNQ2vHYCl7lwsc4yFLbEj7HZef-08BpkxjdmzWxw9fkm3uTvLfL3CL1ene__Pbl6AXfW9qm_VZIGv3BVcUhSTETvFUdpzTUMm0ik1PimDlpiccX6_e3Me2SqnBpQ1Ukj1FXEQgCvcAqdONB0TtVU_k2jRnS7_XMGUrNtdFnT6R_M3g60BBt6uqlUtg1WVs=w1177-h990-no

7WnjKgHXl-Y2h93l29VnecsksB5bD8BUq_93mHARlZ_zbpd2J9fQFx-VOvzI5cp1-5NgBrMsNPXdGbp0NLQNjYnZrFuNC0kOUSUd3nSyLevoyqUU5j-YZC9SWG5XYAEUfpyWg21XxBKFmrAxb85F5JIjrRq0_rxgrjejXEgOHWTWAhJUd6-s682IL_1OMDLHezeu1v4yPQbKiJS7ocz4VfBQcZskD4R_bu3H-qZVPfx8SJHmNrSVD65b0b1A8gIaha0M5Ha34l2x27E86Ap1YXyPzoEVspjPMBliUEgmpYT3TR4zZYpqVSL6fWDvV3SrMCWfiawg_RO8HcJ7Z48f9vJj3yNMcsby_Cr5ejYkkAB9kheCTya3MRKxPUhLxWGzj4AtRSNLJaDysmgbjo4wsXhTuBsi2lbzhrSJ_yNa-JDxYITfdtBziTVBuu9qjHIH0GpJUNvqWyoCF0VEb7BiJ4czRCkl6cCOU8qdytnix2SuVsaWSkXXdDU_EBoJ4ze13qZN1cPtcP_ZW_HQqaf1wTHqDqXIHFjav7eHJxTi_qSm03koA5r147Z4p76dicGggfUKmTPOv-hE7AAwCcK9WLp2H8Uz7p3xKaYB6rN9yfCJbo3KoD7jj_LLaLbgISYVyOcEQXlsnjT3yJX_VTv3mTYdLzfZ92DB8fTtVMpyOlBEztMsTCmVZ8d5eDTah1wkdoS2PRAw1U4FUnoQqTRg67dB9nsdWATb78uzjCs2Bumu0dGUBTGK1uzx4wy4pUDx6BL7f35yz_D47AXJPS3LfnBHD2zo3luOs_ZYwoVHLlEsKANzMsZGPVTVT540OaWDOWdgudnO5RnqQA0ukJQVMxuLrpU-rhwdaGEHJz2ki43zJCb6SiPJtZDNK3ZfbBZJWkJeBXruLQLf5qlLpLZRs3_kjzqOHR6Fnn-3OEMrMsg_WJKm=w983-h990-no

I've been keeping a log this year to record all the pertinent information, hopefully so I can learn from what I'm doing right and wrong. I track air cell growth, weights, and the time from external pip to hatch. If anyone is interested, here's a pdf of the file I made. If you would like the editable Excel file, message me with your email address and I'll send it to you.

Attachments

• INCUBATION TRACKER.pdf
    408.6 KB · Views: 8
I found an old unused amazon card in my purse, and went with the smaller kebonnix (360 knockoff), so it only ended up being like $60. I made more than that off this batch of chicks, so I think it was a totally justified purchase. 😂
You are going to LOVE the Kebonnix! Finding forgotten gift cards is so fun

Welcome BYC'ers to the April 2023 Hatch-A-Long! I know many of us are in the Easter hatch-a-long, but a lot of us are planning or starting NOW for other April hatch dates. Everyone is welcome. Let's hear your plans, and see your April eggs, incubators, brooders, and babies!
This is my third hatch of silkies/frizzles due March 19, so they're in lockdown now. I'll reload the incubator again with half fresh/half refrigerated as hubby snatches them up so fast and forgets to ask which ones I want lol. I've had success with refrigerated eggs even two weeks old.

I sold the last batch of 21 to the same lady, and had 3 more wanting some so I'm assuming this batch will go fast. If there's a unique looking one, I'll keep it and stick it under one of my broody hens.

I'll be starting a new batch probably 3/22/23 due 4/10/23.

Attachments

• incubator 3-16-23.jpg
    incubator 3-16-23.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1
This is my third hatch of silkies/frizzles due March 19, so they're in lockdown now. I'll reload the incubator again with half fresh/half refrigerated as hubby snatches them up so fast and forgets to ask which ones I want lol. I've had success with refrigerated eggs even two weeks old.

I sold the last batch of 21 to the same lady, and had 3 more wanting some so I'm assuming this batch will go fast. If there's a unique looking one, I'll keep it and stick it under one of my broody hens.

I'll be starting a new batch probably 3/22/23 due 4/10/23.
You sound like me. This hatch is hatching today/tomorrow. then setting the next on March 18 to hatch April 8. LOL

Headed to the farm tomorrow to pick up the eggs! Thinking I might set on Sat though, since the last hatch went a day early. Still undecided! 😂
WOOHOO! hatching buddies again! I will set on Sat or Sun depending on what day the rest of mine hatch. If they hatch early enough Fri then I will clean it and get it going again for Sat.... :)

WOOHOO! hatching buddies again! I will set on Sat or Sun depending on what day the rest of mine hatch. If they hatch early enough Fri then I will clean it and get it going again for Sat.... :)
I might do a HAL, but not an adopt one…setting a few more eggs and that will be ALOT of tagging & keeping track! 😂

For those of you who incubate eggs collected from your own flock, what is your method to decide which eggs to incubate?
I love the colored layers, so I choose the prettiest blue and green eggs, and then I pick some nice pink eggs, then the Orpington eggs, for sure and the RIR huge brown eggs. And then Lloyd is quite the looker, himself. I just can’t wait for a new flock with all the variety of these sweethearts. ❤️🖤

For those of you who incubate eggs collected from your own flock, what is your method to decide which eggs to incubate?
The first decider is which are the cleanest. Seems I’m always collecting when we have rain. Second is to get a variety of colors and sizes of eggs. If I continually see one color and size of egg not hatching, I can eliminate using it when I hatch or sell hatching eggs. Only 1 of 30 was infertile last time, so if the same color & size is infertile this time, I won’t sell that particular egg as a hatching egg to someone. But I probably will test one more next time I hatch to see if our rooster is finally getting to her.

Back
Top Bottom