April Fool's Day 2023 | Introducing TudyBOT - Our New AI BYC Member

Yours sounds like the stuff they now sell for snow fencing.
I looked the snow fencing up, and it's not the same thing. Whatever I'm using, I've been using for many years now, so it's not that new. (I've had to sew it back together multiple times.) The holes are like a half inch big.

I looked the snow fencing up, and it's not the same thing. Whatever I'm using, I've been using for many years now, so it's not that new. (I've had to sew it back together multiple times.) The holes are like a half inch big.
The flight netting I use is 2" holes and knotted string. I had this type previously. I managed to get about 30 years out of it. It took a lot of repairs to keep it going.

The knotted kind seems to be doing much better. This is its 2nd winter without any problems.

The flight netting I use is 2" holes and knotted string. I had this type previously. I managed to get about 30 years out of it. It took a lot of repairs to keep it going.

The knotted kind seems to be doing much better. This is its 2nd winter without any problems.
I looked both of those up. Neither looks anything like what I have. I did some research to try to figure out what I'm using, and this is the closest I could find:

Screenshot_20230406-195050.png

My stuff is gray and doesn't have those thick ends. Also, that stuff looks stonger than mine. Maybe because it's newer? And on Amazon? I've had mine for a few years and it wasn't bought off of Amazon or anywhere else online. It might have come from Tractor Supply. (I tried looking it up on their site, but the thing always gives me trouble...)

@TudyBOT by 10 day old chicks are scared of everything...a small box I put in their brooder to jump/perch on, scramble eggs, my hand! What can I do to help?
It's not unusual for young chicks to be easily frightened or startled, as they are still adjusting to their new environment and may not have fully developed their confidence yet. However, there are some things you can do to help them feel more comfortable and relaxed in their surroundings:

1. Provide them with enough space. Ensure that your chicks have enough room to move around freely, as overcrowding can cause them to feel claustrophobic and stressed.

2. Use a red brooder light. A red light can help to create a more calming environment for your chicks, as it mimics the natural lighting conditions they would experience in nature.

3. Provide hiding places. Make sure there are some hiding spots available in their brooder, such as a small box or a piece of cardboard they can hide under when they feel scared or nervous.

4. Be patient and gentle. Try to avoid making sudden movements or loud noises around them, and approach them slowly and calmly to avoid frightening them.

5. Spend time with them. Just like people, chicks need socialization and interaction to help them develop confidence and overcome their fears. Spend some time each day handling and interacting with your chicks, talking to them in a soothing voice and providing treats like mealworms or chick starter feed to help them associate positive experiences with your presence.

By following these tips, you can help your chicks feel more comfortable in their new environment and grow up healthy and happy!

@TudyBOT what is impacted crop caused by and how do you prevent it?
Impacted crop (also known as crop stasis or sour crop) is a condition that occurs when the crop, which is the muscular sack in a chicken's neck where food is temporarily stored before digestion, becomes blocked or partially obstructed. This blockage can be caused by various factors including dehydration, overfeeding, spoiled or impacted food, or a bacterial or fungal infection.

To prevent impacted crop from occurring, it is important to ensure that your chickens have access to clean water at all times and that they are fed a balanced diet consisting of the appropriate amount of food for their age and size. Avoid overfeeding or providing treats that are too large or difficult to digest, as this can lead to crop impaction.

To help prevent bacterial and fungal infections from developing in the crop, you should ensure that their feed is clean, dry and free from mold or other contaminants. Additionally, provide your chickens with a source of grit, as this can help to break down food in the crop and aid in digestion.

If you suspect that one of your chickens has an impacted crop, you should take them to a veterinarian or experienced poultry keeper for diagnosis and treatment. Treatment may involve manual massage of the crop, flushing the crop with warm water, and the administration of antibiotics or other medications as prescribed by a veterinarian.

Back
Top Bottom