APRIL FOOLS HATCH, give or take a day.....who's in ??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by emjay, Mar 10, 2011.

1. chickpeaz

chickpeaz Songster

May 26, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:emjay --

99.3 is FINE. Sit on your hands.

[​IMG]

I had to buy a new thermometer today as mine doesn't have tenths of a degree and it was stuck at 97*. My merc/glass thermometer was reading 99* and I didn't know which one was wrong. So I bought a new one, stuck it in and it's reading 98*! I give up. I figure I'll have an extra day or two at the end of the hatch (someone remind me of this at day 21 when I'm freaking out at no pipping...?) but I'm much more afraid of temps being too high than too low.

2. Fiddlehead

Fiddlehead Songster

May 12, 2010
    Western Mass
    I am setting 24 eggs around March 17th. I am still collecting eggs looking for polish and silkie! Can't wait, first timer here as well. I just bought a Brinsea eco 20. Days are going by so sloooowwwwww.......

3. D&S Farms

D&S Farms Songster

Mar 3, 2011
    phenix city, alabama
    iam in. i set 22 black australorps and 20 austra whites hatch day 04- 02-11

Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  4. emjay

emjay Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    Quote:emjay --

99.3 is FINE. Sit on your hands.

[​IMG]

I had to buy a new thermometer today as mine doesn't have tenths of a degree and it was stuck at 97*. My merc/glass thermometer was reading 99* and I didn't know which one was wrong. So I bought a new one, stuck it in and it's reading 98*! I give up. I figure I'll have an extra day or two at the end of the hatch (someone remind me of this at day 21 when I'm freaking out at no pipping...?) but I'm much more afraid of temps being too high than too low.

[​IMG]
    thanks for the laugh, I needed a good one. hahaha. Hands firmly in use, obviously, I'm typing a response to you. hahahhaha. [​IMG]

5. emjay

emjay Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    we should do a tally at the end of April. Number of eggs set, and number of eggs hatched, would be interesting .

6. maryrob

maryrob In the Brooder

Jun 6, 2010
    CAPRON,OKLAHOMA
    geesh -- i must be very impatient-- it feels like they have been in there for a very very long time:old

you know i dont have a turner for mine been doing them every 4 hours

what would happen if i stopped turning them now

i also used egg cartons to set them at a tilt with small side down
    what if i take them off now and just let them set like they would in a nest? [​IMG]

and when and if the start chirping in the incub... i totally forgot about my 2 kitties that are sort of curious when i turn them
    if they hear them chirping i feel turmoil [​IMG]

i know i will have to move them from my room--- see i am a nervous mommy here:hit

7. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:You can take them out of the egg carton if you want, but the carton is easier. But they still have to be turned at least 3 times a day, and always an odd number of times. And even if they were in the nest they would be getting turned mutliple times a day by momma hen. They need to be turned to keep the embryo from sticking.

8. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Well I will be candling tonight [​IMG] . I can usually see growth on day 3 [​IMG]

Need to find my candling light though [​IMG]

9. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

Quote:Day 3... really ?

Tomorrow is day 3 for me... and I'm getting anxious to do SOMETHING ! [​IMG]

10. kelseygirl707

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    mmaddie's mom :

Quote:Day 3... really ?

Tomorrow is day 3 for me... and I'm getting anxious to do SOMETHING ! [​IMG]

If you have a good Candling light (I think mine is 300 Lumins) and Light colored eggs, you can usually see something, but never toss an egg until at least day 7, preferably day 10, because you should see something by then. But this is also probably my 30th hatch, but I can remember with my first hatch I had no Idea what I was looking at, so it was probably more like a week in that I felt comfortable knowing which were growing and which weren't.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: