APRIL FOOLS HATCH, give or take a day.....who's in ??

a bit of good news on Scooter, the chick with the curled toes, horribly curled. Took the boots off to change tape and shoes, the one foot is almost perfectly straight, still needs a couple of days to strengthen it, but, the outcome is very very hopeful. My daughter was right in her prognosis for it.

I'm at 50% hatched going into day 21 now as of 5 o'clock tomorrow will be officially day 21. Only one of my DIL's Jersey Black Giants is pipped and has been that way most of the day, but may be starting to do something now. Several more of my eggs are pipped. Getting lots of colors with mine, hoping for blue egg layers. Most so far look tailed not rumpless like their dad.

Just checked and another one is out, that's 14 of 26 with at least 6 more pipped.

Well... It's the end of day 22 and I'm still waiting on my two Marans eggs. I went ahead and candled and did see a little movement. Doesn't look like they've pipped the air cell yet and the air cells look really large. I've upped the humidity but not sure if it will make much difference at this point... It's a waiting game now.

I totally broke down and stopped by the feed store to get a friend for my lonely blue. Perhaps it was a bit premature but I couldn't help it. My boyfriend is gonna kill me when he sees it, LOL!
lol.png
Ended up getting a little Salmon Faverolle. She's very cute but it was a long drive home so she's a little exhausted. Also has an irritated vent so I'm treating her for that. Other than that everything is going well, the two are warily warming up to each other and hopefully they'll become good friends in case the other two don't end up hatching.

13 out and five more have pipped, that leaves 3 left to pip its day 21 now so right on schedule , not bad for my first hatch. 2 rir, 1 black mutt, 3 blue jerseys, 1 splash jersey,2 black jerseys, and 4 jerseys to wet to tell color yet lol the blue and black are hard to tell when there wet
jumpy.gif

Officially day 21 is at 5 PM today. Only 3 left out of my 26 eggs to go. DIL's are at 4 hatched, 3 pipped and 3 that don't show anything yet. I did use egg carton tops to lay some of the eggs in. I actually cut the top out as well so air and humidity could move freely around the eggs, Some eggs I did leave right on the bottom of the incubator and just mostly used the cartons as partitions. All or most of mine look kinda like chipmunks and most seem tailed, not rumpless like their daddy. One factor I can think that might have influenced the hatch might have been if the eggs got too cold out in the nests. I didn't candle until day 18 and then did not spend a lot of time doing it, just checking for any possible clear eggs. So, if any don't hatch by tomorrow, I'll clean out the chicks and broken shells from the bator and lay a moist warm paper towel under and over any that remain for just a couple more days, that is if it still looks like they may hatch by candling. Don't want to risk loosing any chicks to starvation while waiting for others to hatch.

Ugh forgot to turn on my bator cam this morning and I'm not going to be home until about 7:30pm... Wondering if there's any action at all but not really holding out hope. Day 23 - saw some movement yesterday and started tapping on the glass at them this morning to see if I get any response. Might have seen a little movement? Planning to check again on day 25 if they're not out to see if there's anything going on. Not feeling too hopeful about the outcome because they looked quite big on day 18 so I'm surprised that they would be late... Who knows though, keeping my fingers crossed
fl.gif

Miscounted on mine. I had 23 of mine hatch and only 5 of my DILs made it.
somad.gif
hova-crap-bator, went dry today or nearly so. about 5 PM I pulled the chicks and all the broken shells. Turns out one that had zipped of DILs was already dead and another was bloody. 3 more of hers remains and 2 are alive and pipping so far. The other one of hers is not pipped and neither are my 3 remaining eggs. I did lay a warm wet paper towel over them for a while and refill the tray with water, hoping to save at least those two of hers. Mine don't matter if they don't pip, as I already have 23 very much alive chicks out in the brooder box. I showed them their water and feed and they are just laying around resting now. Over all I was satisfied with my egg results but disappointed in my DIL's results for her. Hers was only 50% so far, mine much better at 23 out of 26 if those remaining 3 don't do anything.

I had a successful first hatch Sunday and I have 9 duck eggs going into lockdown Thursday. I'm hoping that I am just as successful with the ducks. All 22 chicks are healthy and peeping away. I did have to help one out, it had pipped early Saturday and the other chicks had rolled it over onto a piece of shell. I thought it had just died. When I was taking the chicks out Sunday evening, I turned over the egg and the piece of shell had stuck and he couldn't get zipped all the way. I took him into the bathroom and pulled the shell off the top and put it back into the bator. He was peeping but weak. He got out of the shell and when I went to bed I didn't think he was going to make it. In the morning he was peeping and up running around with his roomys that had hatched that night!

52919_139.jpg

Back
Top Bottom