April Hatch Along

Pics
100% hatches are super rare. Even experienced hatchers still have losses, so I think you did fantastic! And seeing all the things you learned, I'd consider it a great success!

Only failure -- where's the pics?? :D

Thanks! Yes, I'm counting at as a success and huge learning experience.

Here's some pics

Yeah! I'd love to watch some kids watching a hatch. I bet they get a big kick out of it. And congrats to you for educating the youth. I never saw anything like this as a kid (grew up a city gal) so I think I'm like a kid when they hatch, and even after so many hatches, I still stay glued to the window. Lol!

Oh, look up the broodies and babies thread. There are some adorable shots.
smile.png
OMG!!! Cutest thread ever!!! Next spring...I hope I get some broody girls so I can let them hatch!!!!! The whole process is great for kids, even at preschool age! They have to be patient in waiting for the eggs to hatch, and then have to learn how to care for those babies! On Friday, I candled my duck eggs for the upper grades so they could see the development...they were AMAZED!!!!!

Well, I began to notice a nasty smell coming from the incubator so that warranted a thorough check and candling of all remaining eggs and moving all chicks out. I have 8 chicks hatched including the little hip blister blue marans.

Back to checking the remaining eggs... I found a SFH egg that had pipped and been rolled over on the pip, which had then been resealed with goo. Candling and tapping showed no movement. I used a damp cloth to open the pip back up and no movement.
hit.gif
I finished opening it be sure, everything was absorbed as it should have been, but the chick suffocated when the pip got resealed. Two others I candled were the one that had pipped internally on day 18 but still not externally, and one that had pipped externally but made no progress for about 26 hrs, neither had any movement with tapping. Those chicks were also dead but had not absorbed their yolks. There are two eggs left in the incubator. I don't have a ton of hope for them, but neither had any big red flags, just neither had anything screaming "I'm a goner!" so I'm giving them a chance.

I've learned so much during this process. A huge thanks to everyone who has offered me help. I know there are several things I'll do differently the next time I incubate. I probably won't be adjusting my incuview down for the lower room temperature because I think it ran a bit too warm. I will keep humidity just a bit higher during incubation on account of my elevation and try to be more steady instead of the wild swings that I had a few times. I'll try to hatch just a bit drier, since I did have some sticky chicks. None of the dead ones were shrink wrapped. The only time chicks had issues with being too dry was when they zipped most of the way and then tried to rest too long. Am I on track here? Any suggestions.
Oh, and I'll buy a kitchen sink mat to put in the bator for hatch instead of the slippery plastic one. The chicks had trouble getting footing.
So sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
and congrats on your babies!!!
celebrate.gif
I learn new things each year I hatch! I am also at high altitude(6500ft) and struggle with humidity issues
hmm.png
So far things seem to be going well, but it is a learning process!!!! You did a great job
big_smile.png

I HAVE 5 EXTERNAL PIPS in my bantam cochin eggs!!!!
wee.gif
pop.gif

Last edited:
I will definitely try to adjust the humidity next time too. I had many sticky hair-gel chicks this time. I dry hatch (35%) with my own eggs and bump humidity for lockdown, but with shipped eggs maybe I should keep a steady 45% and not raise it for lockdown? What are your general humidity guidelines?

Ummm... don't have any, lol... :oops:

If you don't raise humidity what percent do you incubate at?

Have you noticed a better or worse hatching percent?

I know I have had some hatch early where I haven't raised humidity or been off on my days.

They seemed to hatch fine. Was even debating doing a batch with not raising it to see what would happen.

Then your and tao chick discussion came along. Just prying for info.

I just watch my air cells... our RH here is extremely high, like tropical, so usually I just pop them in the bator and go... once in a while I'll set either a shot glass or a cup of water in the batod for a bit, but usually I don't add any water at all... just stop turning at 'lockdown' time, bag any I need separate and wait...

Was a cool day today here, after a few really warm days. Most of the chicks stayed tucked under their mommas. Though yall might enjoy a couple cute pics :)

Ahhhhhh!!! I want a broody mama hen! Seriously so cute to see the gals and their chicks. Thanks for sharing the pic.

OMG!!! Cutest thread ever!!! Next spring...I hope I get some broody girls so I can let them hatch!!!!! The whole process is great for kids, even at preschool age! They have to be patient in waiting for the eggs to hatch, and then have to learn how to care for those babies! On Friday, I candled my duck eggs for the upper grades so they could see the development...they were AMAZED!!!!!

So sorry for your loss:hugs and congrats on your babies!!! :celebrate  I learn new things each year I hatch! I am also at high altitude(6500ft) and struggle with humidity issues:/   So far things seem to be going well, but it is a learning process!!!! You did a great job:D  

I HAVE 5 EXTERNAL PIPS in my bantam cochin eggs!!!! :weee :pop

Woah, exciting! !! C'mon little chicks!

I think it helps to turn them at least a couple times a day.

I've read that some people store in cartons and just prop up one end of the carton, then the other end, a few times a day.

I don't necessarily turn mine, but I do move eggs around fairly often. I have cartons on my spare bed, separated by breed. So when I add the days eggs, I probably adjust the cartons a little, enough to keep them from sticking, I suppose.
Do you think that this could affect the hatch rates a lot or not. I have only been getting 4-5 chicks per 20 chicken eggs.

Last edited:
Do you think that this could affect the hatch rates a lot or not. I have only been getting 4-5 chicks per 20 chicken eggs.

Honestly, no, I don't think it should have that drastic effect, but that's just my opinion. At least I don't think it has affected mine.

Are you using fresh eggs? What incubator are you using? Are you at high elevation? When are the quitters quitting? Are they fully developing, just not hatching? What has been your basic technique? (temp/humidity throughout, and last 3 days) Ventilation is another factor often overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom