April Hatch Along

Pics
I have pips! 3/5 as of this morning before I went to work (yes, I did consider staying home, but duty calls). They were peeping at me as I got ready to go. I'm hoping for some babies when I get home!

At one day old, how active should my chicks be? These spend most of their time sleeping. They don't run around or go drink. I am getting food for them today.
The other chicks I have raised all have been more active, but those were hatchery shipped chicks or broody hatched, never incubator hatched.

They relax the first day or so. Don't worry too much for a couple days. :)

I have pips! 3/5 as of this morning before I went to work (yes, I did consider staying home, but duty calls). They were peeping at me as I got ready to go. I'm hoping for some babies when I get home!

:fl

I have taken vacation days on hatch day! One time I didn't and the boss laughed. Was shocked that I was at work lol! Now I usually just run home at lunch time, but it kills me all day long! :p

At one day old, how active should my chicks be? These spend most of their time sleeping. They don't run around or go drink. I am getting food for them today.
The other chicks I have raised all have been more active, but those were hatchery shipped chicks or broody hatched, never incubator hatched.

My single chick from my compromised hatch was constantly sleeping the day after hatch. I was concerned, too, until I saw a bunch of pictures of newly hatched chicks napping all over the other eggs in the bator. They just had a loooong ordeal, and need time to be at 100%.
1f60a.png

They relax the first day or so. Don't worry too much for a couple days.
smile.png

Good! I think I am extra nervous this time because *I* hatched these chicks! Thanks. I knew they slept a lot, I was just surprised that they seem to be sleeping more in the brooder than in the incubator. Perhaps its because they have more room now.

Just got home! 5/5 pips!
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
Some pipped on the side facing the bottom of the tray, though--do I need to quickly flip them so that the pip is facing up?

:ya

If you could roll them thru a vent hole? I prefer them pip-up, but it's a personal preference.

Did you set them with the lowest point of the air cell slope pointed upward? Just curious. I rarely have any pip downward, but they do get rolled by earlier hatchers.

:ya

If you could roll them thru a vent hole? I prefer them pip-up, but it's a personal preference.

Did you set them with the lowest point of the air cell slope pointed upward? Just curious. I rarely have any pip downward, but they do get rolled by earlier hatchers.

I tried to, but they were all pretty badly saddled, so it was sort of a crap shoot.
1f615.png
I quickly rolled them face- up.

HAH!

I figured out why my chicks were sleeping so much... the brooder was too big for 10 of them, they were afraid to go explore and find the water. I went to the local feed store this afternoon, got them some feed and some friends. They are all better now!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom