April Hatch Along

Pics
Getting closer to lock down!!! I had to toss 2 today, and have 4 more that look like they quit but I am going to wait and candle again on day 18 before I give up them, sigh. On day 15 for the first 11 eggs, kind of wishing I hadn't set eggs on different days now, but looks like only 2 out of 5 of the blue eggs have life in them, and with the quitters it will be nice if the extras I added hatch. I have been so careful with these eggs, extra gentle, limited touching and only with very clean hands, so hopeful for baby chicks this time around. I'm thinking 12 look really good, obvious life in them right now, out of 21. Could my low numbers be due to inbred chickens? We live very remote and I am unsure of the hens bloodlines that I was given, although they seem very robust and lay good, I noticed a lot of eggs failed rom the hen I suspect to be inbred. I don't plan on breeding her further, or her chicks. I would like to get some eggs shipped to bring in some new blood to my flock. On the bright side the air cels are looking better this round with the dry hatch! a couple are still a bit on the small side but most look decent!!!
fl.gif

Wow, that was rough! Think I'll just rest right here. What are YOU looking at??! Flip me over!! :D I'm tired... nap time..
Which one is the brassy back? Isn't the whole hatching thing amazing? Like they're in there and suddenly thing, hmmm I think I need to start pecking now, I'm getting kinda cramped. Oh look, an air pocket, let's breath that and rest for a bit and suck in this yummy yolk. Okay keep pecking. Rest,...Now let's peck in a circle!

Which one is the brassy back?

Isn't the whole hatching thing amazing? Like they're in there and suddenly thing, hmmm I think I need to start pecking now, I'm getting kinda cramped. Oh look, an air pocket, let's breath that and rest for a bit and suck in this yummy yolk. Okay keep pecking. Rest,...Now let's peck in a circle!

Yep!! I love to imagine what they are thinking. Usually its "hey, get that light out of my eye!"
big_smile.png

Those pics are the blue brassy's chick. I couldn't stay long enough for her to dry off, but she was first to hatch. I hope no more hatch before I get back home, but hopefully she will stand out from the others.

Pheasant eggs made it today. Only 120 not 220.

But they got smashed pretty good by the post office.

Only 81 weren't cracked or busted. But a lot of those are covered in egg goo and styrofoam they were packed in.

goodness! that is awful!
There is a doc by Sally Sunshine that explains what to request to ensure shipped eggs arrive in best condition. She says that as buyer we have both right and responsibility to request how our eggs are shipped.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/attachments/960
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1074649/the-7th-annual-byc-easter-hatch-a-long/4960#post_16583535

Sally Sunshine and Pete55 have a ton if useful and experienced information!

3 more of mine hatched in the meantime, 1 of 3 "unpipped" eggs pipped, too. End of day 22.

Another good thing is that all 40+ of them seem strong and healthy, no twisted necks or dreaded splayed legs. I must have done something right. Knock on wood!

Back
Top Bottom