April Hatch Along

Awesome! I enjoy all the folks on this one
yippiechickie.gif

2 pips when I left home this morning.

Ugh. I have not tried misting chick eggs, but depending if you want to experiment, maybe try it on a few??? Maybe mess with your vents a little?

In addition to the things spruce creek mentions, I had another thought that I haven't seen tried (probably a crazy thought anyway)... but I have some cotton quilt batting, and I used it in my Brinsea Eco, for wicking the water to raise the humidity. It worked great, never dried out at all. But I wonder if it would help to put a piece in dry, away from the eggs, to draw the moisture away from the eggs at least.

Only other thing I can think of is trying to find a dryer area of your house. A closet, etc. Risky to move the whole thing, but maybe worth some consideration?

I use puppy pads for a week or so, then add pine shavings. They may eat a few small bits, but I haven't had any issues with it. I also have had them tear into the puppy pads, and while it seems really gross to me, I haven't had any get sick and die from it. I think they just tear it up and don't really "eat" it.
I had chirping this morning - no pips!! I fully expect dry fluffy chicks when I get home from work today!! I hope you have a great hatch!

I also use Puppy pee pads for the first couple of weeks, then switch to pine shavings. I find with the pine shavings the feathered feet babies stay cleaner than they do with the pee pads, even changing the pads every day.
I would happy to keep updating in this group! I've got three dozen eggs being shipped Monday
smile.png
Excellent - what kind of eggs did you order?

I had chirping this morning - no pips!! I fully expect dry fluffy chicks when I get home from work today!! I hope you have a great hatch!

I also use Puppy pee pads for the first couple of weeks, then switch to pine shavings. I find with the pine shavings the feathered feet babies stay cleaner than they do with the pee pads, even changing the pads every day.
Excellent - what kind of eggs did you order?

My first pip was 7 p.m. yesterday, so I expect it will hatch while I'm at work today too. But I'm thinking 3:00 may be quitting time today.... if I make it that long! haha

What do you have hatching now? I can't keep up with you! lol

(I have 3 marans, 3 bantam cochins, and 1 serama right now, will add 2 bantam cochins and 1 chocolate orpington to the hatcher maybe this evening. Those last 3 were under a broody, so I'm just going by candling to decide when to move them)

My first pip was 7 p.m. yesterday, so I expect it will hatch while I'm at work today too. But I'm thinking 3:00 may be quitting time today.... if I make it that long! haha

What do you have hatching now? I can't keep up with you! lol

(I have 3 marans, 3 bantam cochins, and 1 serama right now, will add 2 bantam cochins and 1 chocolate orpington to the hatcher maybe this evening. Those last 3 were under a broody, so I'm just going by candling to decide when to move them)
Lock down has only 4 of the 18 replacement Biefelders I"m hatching for Gotro17, plus I think 6 Seramas and 8 Sebrights?

Day 16 eggs I have Gotro17's Maran eggs - those looked really good. Day 15 eggs, I have Lavender Orps and Tolbunt Polish (frizzled), and day 10 I have Birchen/Splash Maran. Gotro17 put several of the Birchen eggs under her broody hen. Only 1 is good, and she is a few days ahead of me. And I believe there should be some Ayam Cemani eggs at my post office today....

Keep us posted on your hatch! I think the next bantam I add will be bantam cochins - they are ADORABLE!!!

I need some help. I did my 10 day candle last night. Looks like I have 1 with blood ring and 1 quitter; still have 22. My problem...too much humidity! Air cells too small. We've had a lot of rain. Already doing dry hatch. Still at 48-53%. Can you mist like ducks? Help
1f62b.png

I have forced air heat, and here in upstate New York we are still using it. The dryest place in my house is right near one of the registers. I'm not sure in your neck of the woods, but WV is right- if you can find a dryer place in your house or fiddle with the vents and fan, it might help. Good luck!

I have forced air heat, and here in upstate New York we are still using it. The dryest place in my house is right near one of the registers. I'm not sure in your neck of the woods, but WV is right- if you can find a dryer place in your house or fiddle with the vents and fan, it might help. Good luck!
Thank you for all of the suggestions. Have vent plugs out on still air incubator. And we're to warm to have any heat on. Will try the bowl of rice or salt.

I use puppy pads too for the first week or so and change to pine shavings. I am also having trouble with humidity. :( Rain, rain, rain and the humidity skyrockets.....then wind, wind, wind and I am struggling to bring it back up. It is a roller coaster ride. But the Anconas(which I have decided to KEEP...LOL) actually hatched with that roller coaster ride. Hatch could have better but they were shipped eggs so who knows? My Harlequin hatch is not starting well. :( hoping against hope that it is just ducks being ducks and taking their sweet time but of course the Harlequins are the ones I WANTED so I could add new blood to my little flock. So far...one pip....and tomorrow is hatch day. :(

I ordered the little Magic Fly incubator(Chinese) because my friend (and you all) are BAD influences. LOL So many reviews from people who did first hatches in it and it worked for them, so I thought why not? Delighted my good friend and coconspiritor in crime so she brought me....guess....bantam eggs to try it out. Between her and you all....Bantams are being forced into my future. LOL. But dangled if they aren't adorable. :) It seems to be holding temp well and we will see about humidity. Everybody needs a little incubator for that odd 6+ or so eggs hanging around, right? ROFL.

Oh, and my goslings from Metzers got here. :) 2 Tufted Buff to go with my sweet goose from last year who lost her mate in a water bowl incident. :( It's a zoo around here! :)

Edited to add: I set all my incubators up in my unused dining room because I could shut it up and control drafts, heat, etc. better....that hasn't helped with this CRAZY weather. :(

Last edited:
Thank you for all of the suggestions. Have vent plugs out on still air incubator. And we're to warm to have any heat on. Will try the bowl of rice or salt.

I was also thinking of adding a couple of vent holes since I didn't plug the ones last hatch at all, if I add two then I can still put the plugs in the original holes if I have too. Not sure what kind of incubator your using but I think it would be pretty easy to add some to the styrofoam ones like mine.

Back
Top Bottom