April Hatch Along

So, I returned from my impromptu 16 round trip (it's been a long 36 hours) today and decided to move my little survivor Orpington in with the rest of the chicks. He's eating and drinking happily, but he's so small. There is a two day difference in hatch dates between these two chicks. Everything about this chick is small. His wings are half the size of the Ameraucanas when they hatched. I'm hoping he survives, he's already had such a journey.

It just amazes me the difference two days makes.

On a different note, tomorrow I'm pulling the last three eggs from the incubator. I'll crack them open and see what happened.

Ok, you all may think I am crazy, but I just went out to check on eggs and have two chicks and one egg shell empty. The interesting thing is, I set 15 and have 14 left to hatch. Had anyone every hatched a double Yolker? Never heard of such a thing. They are a good size and active. Well 14 more to go three are pipping. Day one of hatch day.
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

Ok, you all may think I am crazy, but I just went out to check on eggs and have two chicks and one egg shell empty. The interesting thing is, I set 15 and have 14 left to hatch. Had anyone every hatched a double Yolker? Never heard of such a thing. They are a good size and active. Well 14 more to go three are pipping. Day one of hatch day.
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

Often times the shells encase one another - and pretty snuggly at that. Double check the shell. It's not impossible to hatch out two, but the odds of both surviving the process is really small. :)

I need some help. I did my 10 day candle last night. Looks like I have 1 with blood ring and 1 quitter; still have 22. My problem...too much humidity! Air cells too small. We've had a lot of rain. Already doing dry hatch. Still at 48-53%. Can you mist like ducks? Help
1f62b.png

You can sponge them/mist like duck eggs. I had to do it with some of my brown eggs the last batch. It helps if you start soon enough. I did a dry hatch this time 30-40% only 55% on hatch day(which I wasn't certain of since my hen started them, it just happened to start raining the day before. Came home to a chick) had 5 of 6 hatch.

They do much better if there are no hens. They still establish a pecking order (which sometimes involves mouthfuls of feathers!) but they exist fairly well together. I have two bachelor pens - bigger boys and little boys. Generally I will sell the bigger boys (or it looks like this time we will process a few of them), and then move the little boys up as they get bigger.

Good to know! There is one little baby that my hubby is absolutely IN LOVE with! This baby chirps and will pace the side of the brooder when he is around.can't wait to be picked up and snuggle in my hubbys hand........but I suspect this baby is a boy
hide.gif
We were planning on only keeping hens for now, so........
idunno.gif

Update on my 5 eggs:

Egg #1- Blue Australorp; hatched out, but found dead when I woke up today
Egg #2- Black Australorp; hatched and dong ok but is now lonely, is eating and drinking
Egg #3 and 4- Australorps in the process of hatching
Egg #5- nothing yet

Back
Top Bottom