April Hatch Along

Hatch day was today!!

8 Bantam cochin eggs from my birds have hatched. However none of the Dom eggs that I had shipped have hatched yet, and don't look like they will. Super dissapointed as by this point I've spent almost $100 to get some Doms... and have only one chick to prove for it.

So far, all 4 of Gotro17's eggs hatched, looks like 2 boys and 2 girls. All 7 of my Golden Laced Sebrights hatched, but my Seramas were set a day after the others, since they usually hatch early. Not this time. I have 2 pips and that's it. I'll check the eggs for signs of life tomorrow when I pull the chicks, since I have more eggs to lock down on Monday.

Monday I lock down the Maran Eggs for Gotro17 - I candled those on Thursday and only pulled 2, the rest looked great. I didn't candle the Lav Orps or the Tolbunt Polish that are also being locked down. I'll candle them before setting them in the hatcher. The day 10 candle of the polish was the ABSOLUTE BEST chance I"ve had of watching those little chicks swimming around.

Tomorrow, I'll be setting a dozen eggs from Gtro17's backyard flock, as well as 14 BEAUTIFUL Ayam Cemani eggs that Phage sent me.

Busy incubators - all 3 are being used!

So far, all 4 of Gotro17's eggs hatched, looks like 2 boys and 2 girls.  All 7 of my Golden Laced Sebrights hatched, but my Seramas were set a day after the others, since they usually hatch early.  Not this time.  I have 2 pips and that's it.   I'll check the eggs for signs of life tomorrow when I pull the chicks, since I have more eggs to lock down on Monday.

Monday I lock down the Maran Eggs for Gotro17 - I candled those on Thursday and only pulled 2, the rest looked great.  I didn't candle the Lav Orps or the Tolbunt Polish that are also being locked down.  I'll candle them before setting them in the hatcher.  The day 10 candle of the polish was the ABSOLUTE BEST chance I"ve had of watching those little chicks swimming around.  

Tomorrow,  I'll be setting a dozen eggs from Gtro17's backyard flock, as well as 14 BEAUTIFUL Ayam Cemani eggs that Phage sent me.

Busy incubators - all 3 are being used!

So great! Congrats on the great hatches so far! Tonight I will candle my Marans eggs and see how they line up for lockdown on Thursday!!
But, you know, our biggest, fun news was little MJ (that made the harrowing postal trip to us) laid her first egg!! (And a second one yesterday, too!)

So great! Congrats on the great hatches so far! Tonight I will candle my Marans eggs and see how they line up for lockdown on Thursday!!
But, you know, our biggest, fun news was little MJ (that made the harrowing postal trip to us) laid her first egg!! (And a second one yesterday, too!)

Yay!!!! I am so glad that they have settled in so quickly. Her sisters down here have also started laying. The AC cross hens from the same hatch, haven't started laying yet....

Only 1 new chick this morning, but several more pips. With my last Seramas I had to intervene on 2 - and they both died, I'm afraid to help....

So I pulled the last three eggs, one was an earlier death. One was a fully developed chick that never absorbed its yolk, I'm not sure what happened. The last one was a fully developed chick that pipped internally but never progressed further.

Hatch day was today!!

8 Bantam cochin eggs from my birds have hatched. However none of the Dom eggs that I had shipped have hatched yet, and don't look like they will. Super dissapointed as by this point I've spent almost $100 to get some Doms... and have only one chick to prove for it.

I am so sorry. :( I know that disappointment well. My whole order of shipped Bielefelder eggs...nothing hatched. Nothing while just like you, Bantams in the incubator with them hatched very well. I just threw in the towel on the Bielefelders, not willing to keep hemorrhaging money for "iffy" eggs since the Bielefelders seem to have problems. They came from a BYC'er who made me a wonderful offer to replace for shipping only. Maybe your sender will make that offer. Still...it does absolutely stink.

I have quit ordering eggs from more than a state or so away.....trying to pinpoint where most of the problem is and unfortunately at least half of it is my own PO. :( So I am sending them to my friend's PO from now on.

So I pulled the last three eggs, one was an earlier death. One was a fully developed chick that never absorbed its yolk, I'm not sure what happened. The last one was a fully developed chick that pipped internally but never progressed further.

It is so discouraging to find a fully developed chick. I had that happen with the Cayuga ducks I hatched....one pipped and couldn't zip because of the membrane...I didn't notice the pip until it was too late. In his case, he pipped on the bottom of the egg so I never noticed it had pipped until I went to remove the eggs. Since I had to assist all four of the others I know how tough that membrane was. I'm not sure knowing I could have saved him too was a good thought. :(

On the other hand so far...every last chick I have had to assist has died....the Cayugas I saved though are happy little ducklings running around pooping, eating and sleeping. LOL Who knows....

Yay!!!!  I am so glad that they have settled in so quickly.  Her sisters down here have also started laying.  The AC cross hens from the same hatch, haven't started laying yet....

Only 1 new chick this morning, but several more pips.  With my last Seramas I had to intervene on 2 - and they both died, I'm afraid to help....  

Are their eggs similar in color to MJs sage green?

The incubator is clean and ready and back on!! I drilled two small holes in the top to increase ventilation and lower humidity and so far the humidity is at 25%, but it hasn't been on for very long and takes awhile for the LG to stabilize it seems. Trying to be patient! 14 eggs waiting to go in!, Oh well maybe I will get two more by the morning ;-)
So I cracked a couple of the eggs that didn't hatch and they looked pretty developed with big yolk sacs, so must have died close to hatching, don't know why none from my big hen(I need to figure out what breed they are, pretty sure the little hen is a production red) would hatch and 5 out of 8 from the other hatched. The one blue out of 5 I wasn't surprised about since they were not collected for hatching, so not turned and were a bit dirty as well. Anyone on here good at identifying breeds? Maybe I'll try to get a good pic of my girl and see if anyone knows what she is??

Back
Top Bottom