April Hatch Thread--Come Join Us!

Two out and cheeping:celebrate :weee  One seems to be dragging his shell by his umbilical cord. The cord looks dry. Will it just come off by itself or should I intervene. If so, how? The second chick came out fine and ran to find his buddy. No action in the other 7 eggs and it is day 23. I will take these guy out to the brooder when the second one is dry. Two little ee's!!!!

That happened to a couple of mine too. I just left them alone and they dried and came off on their own. Don't pull them off, it might hurt them.

I am on day 16 of my little group of would be hatchlings. I have 12 Ameracaunas from my own hens, and 2 porcelain d'uccle. THe d'uccle's were put in a day later than the others, as a friend dropped by and had 2 of the little tiny eggs in his hand for me. I ran them in and put them in with the other bunch. I haven't candled them. THis is my first attempt at hatching. I kept meaning to candle, but the days have just gotten away from me. I still may try it today. Looking forward to day 21-22. A little nervous b/c I have another book that say a still egg incubator (which I have) should be kept at 102*. Well, that is about where the temp has stayed the whole time so.... We'll see. Kind of excited.

Last edited:
I am on day 16 of my little group of would be hatchlings. I have 12 Ameracaunas from my own hens, and 2 porcelain d'uccle. THe d'uccle's were put in a day later than the others, as a friend dropped by and had 2 of the little tiny eggs in his hand for me. I ran them in and put them in with the other bunch. I haven't candled them. THis is my first attempt at hatching. I kept meaning to candle, but the days have just gotten away from me. I still may try it today. Looking forward to day 21-22. A little nervous b/c I have another book that say a still egg incubator (which I have) should be kept at 102*. Well, that is about where the temp has stayed the whole time so.... We'll see. Kind of excited.

On a still air, you will get a temp variance. It should run 101 at top of eggs, and 99.5 at bottom. If the eggs are in a turner, which lifts them much closer to the top and heating element, the temp gets 101-102

Moved 13 babies out to the brooder in the barn. 5 more have hatched, 1 is really not doing well. 5 have pipped and 8 haven't done anything as of yet. Pretty exciting weekend!

On a still air, you will get a temp variance. It should run 101 at top of eggs, and 99.5 at bottom. If the eggs are in a turner, which lifts them much closer to the top and heating element, the temp gets 101-102

Well if those eggs are sitting at that temp and hatching then I have nothing to worry about !!!! Thought mine were too hot!!!!! The temp in my bator is sitting between 99.5 and 102 depending on the time of day? Mid day till about 3 pm it tends to go up in temp - but it seems to be warmer weather outside at that time of day????? The bator is inside though? We are trying to keep it at a constant temp but it isn't behaving. - Then I kick myself and remember that Hens can;t tell temps and so naturally under a hen they are all over the place with temp arn't they?
The wax egg felt havier tonight when I turned it? Tomorrow is day 17!!!!! We are getting close now! I am looking foward to Lockdown. I am sooooooooo hoping all turns out well and that something hatches this time round
fl.gif
It soooo seemed forever now so close to hatch day!
wee.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

Oes

Moved 13 babies out to the brooder in the barn. 5 more have hatched, 1 is really not doing well. 5 have pipped and 8 haven't done anything as of yet. Pretty exciting weekend!

Well has anything happend to Waxy yet????????
pop.gif
When I turned my waxed up egg tonight it felt havier than before??? Maybe I am imagining it??????
But it felt havier than yesterday and deffinately hevier than the chicken eggs I cracked for dinner!!
hmm.png

Oes

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom