April Hatch Thread--Come Join Us!

So far 5 hatched and 12 pips. Some have been pipped for a long time, since this morning around 8. Others pipped and were out in less than an hour! This is so much fun, my kids and I are loving the experience.

I candles the wax covered one today because I wanted to take at least a little bit of the wax off just in case it was having trouble pipping. Unfortunately it doesn't look so great but it wasn't smelly so I'm going to leave it in a little longer.

sigh...day 14

Started with 36 down to 17 but I think 3-4 of those may not be viable. I still have a great mix of moving babies and I am happy about that but sad that some of the babies I really wanted were never in the eggs in the first place...every one of the culls has been clear.
OK of to turn them.

So far 5 hatched and 12 pips. Some have been pipped for a long time, since this morning around 8. Others pipped and were out in less than an hour! This is so much fun, my kids and I are loving the experience.

I candles the wax covered one today because I wanted to take at least a little bit of the wax off just in case it was having trouble pipping. Unfortunately it doesn't look so great but it wasn't smelly so I'm going to leave it in a little longer.

My waxed egg feels lighter than the others. I think the chick has died?( It was alive on Day 14!) But I am still giving it the benifit of the doubt. We are going to Lockdown MONDAY!!!!!!!!! I am excited but scared all at the sametime! With only 4 eggs one cracked and that one and another feeling lighter than the other two? Ummmmm ???? I am just holding my breath and praying
fl.gif
something hatches! Dh has already got his camera up and running and - he shouts at me everytime I forget to close the door and the cat wanders! OMG he is a right little chicken Momma! Hovering over them - !!!! I thought I was bad he is hillarious!
lau.gif

Oes

Middle of the night check up on my babies. Hehe

It looks like 9 hatched so far and others still working on zipping. A couple of them were not looking so great around the membrane, it was looking dark and dry, so I used a tweezers to help them by pulling off a little bit of shell around the zipping part.

One of them does not look good. It's very strange inside and all I can think is maybe it is shrink wrapped? I don't know... Even that doesn't seem right though because I could see the membrane was not attached to it, just weird looking.

The humidity is high in there, around 80-85% but i took a couple damp paper towels and lightly wrapped the few that didn't look so great. One seems very much like it is going to hatch any second. I only took a little bit of shell off and it was pushing against the pieces as it was laying in my hand. I still wrapped it but lightly. I think I'll go take that ones towel off in a little bit so that it doesn't get stuck in it.

The other 9 are crazy little buggers! Cheep cheep cheep! I'm going to bring them out to the brooder in the barn later today because they're playing bowling ball with the other eggs.

I still have my one original broody hen but the one that was sitting on the fake egg gave up. I feel bad for her because my daughter has been helping me in the coop and misunderstood my directions and shooed her out again 2 days in a row and I think it was enough to pester her out of brooding.

Oh well. Better finding out now than when I give her chicks. I will just raise these in the barn, and it does male the situation easier with my other good broody hen.

Anyone else hatching soon?

And what are you guys doing about vaccinating for Mareks? (not sure if that is spelled correctly)

Last edited:
Lost chick #3 sometime over night between midnight check and now. He was on his back in a warm area, not sure what happened. Had been eating and drank a few times, even was pooing.

Not even an internal peep from the eggs on Day 22 so I wonder If the two out may be the only survivors from this hatch. :( Hatch 2 goes into lockdown on my birthday (Wednesday) so I guess we'll see if any other eggs from this seller make it.

I put five various eggs under my persistently broody splash silkie and two hatched so far, one Sultan and one silkie. Still have a few to go. This was our first broody hatch so it's exciting!

Two out and cheeping
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
One seems to be dragging his shell by his umbilical cord. The cord looks dry. Will it just come off by itself or should I intervene. If so, how? The second chick came out fine and ran to find his buddy. No action in the other 7 eggs and it is day 23. I will take these guy out to the brooder when the second one is dry. Two little ee's!!!!

Back
Top Bottom