Apullet's first egg.

Joe1962

Songster
Aug 3, 2018
I have had a pullet in the house since late fall. A failed hatching I posted on last fall. She is fine, just waiting for some warmer weather to introduce her to the flock. The last 48 hours she has been very noisy 24 hours a day. Today she started the egg sound I have heard the other hens make. Sure enough she laid and egg.

After hearing her I looked for egg production and found this.

I have had a pullet in the house since late fall. A failed hatching I posted on last fall. She is fine, just waiting for some warmer weather to introduce her to the flock. The last 48 hours she has been very noisy 24 hours a day. Today she started the egg sound I have heard the other hens make. Sure enough she laid and egg.

After hearing her I looked for egg production and found this.

How old is she? Where do you live? And, of course, I have to ask why is she still in the house?

How old is she? Where do you live? And, of course, I have to ask why is she still in the house?
I live in the midwest. Temps have not been great for introduction. I have to break ice for my girls every morning. She is 5 months old.

I live in the midwest. Temps have not been great for introduction. I have to break ice for my girls every morning. She is 5 months old.
I live in Maine. Last few nights with wind chill -30F and my birds have done fine. What do you have for a coop? Do you have good ventilation. Chickens wear a down coat. Sometime run your hands under their wings and see how warm they are. They puff their feathers up to trap heat. And when they roost the cover their feet with their feathers and down. Notice all that fluff at the base of their butts. Nice cover for feet. Chickens are much more hardy than we realize. By breaking ice are you talking about water. So do I. You can get heated waterers but they don't need water over night so bring out some fresh unfrozen water. Even when it's in the teens my water stays unfrozen for about 3 hours. Your chicken needs to get acclimated to the cold though.

Back
Top Bottom