Aquarium Heater for Waterer?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by janiebob, Sep 27, 2013.

1. janiebob

janiebob New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Hi all. Has anyone used a aquarium heater in an open container for keeping chicken water from freezing. Thinking about trying it.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    yup! works fine but didnt last long and u need the submersable ones. ive used crockpots, heatlamps overhead. finnaly broke down and bought a plastic one. hard to fill as i have to turn it upsidedown . metal heater base the way to go. lightbulbs are cheap and auto off saves u money

1 person likes this.
  3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I use this heater. I just drop it in the supply bucket and forget it. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Allied-Precision-Deluxe-Bird-Bath-Heater-and-De-icer/17365953

It is available many places. It is built like a tank. Metal construction, metal shrouded power cord. I run an extension cord to the coop and plug this in. It cycles on and off by the temperature of the water.

I recall that some use light bulbs in flower pots and glass aquarium heaters, but I think this is more durable and possible safer.

Chris

4. janiebob

janiebob New Egg

Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks Chris. This is what I've been looking for. Something durable, un like a aquarium heater. Gonna try it for sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by