Araucana & Ameracauna?

Yes, but I am wondering how you tell the physical difference between an Ameracauna and an EE.

If you buy an Ameracauna how can you know for sure that it is not an EE?

Are there any traits that only belong to Ameracaunas?

Ameraucanas and Easter Eggers are not the same thing. This has been explained countless times which is why this...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=128806

...has been stickied at the top of this forum. Ameraucanas have to meet a breed Standard. They are limited at this point to eight recognized colors. If they are not Black, Blue, Blue Wheaten, Brown Red, Buff, Silver, Wheaten, or White then they are not an Ameraucana. In addition they must lay a blue egg.

Easter Eggers on the other hand come in a wonderful assortment of feather patterns and shapes due to the fact of their very mixed heritage. They can lay any color egg but usually it is a blue-ish green to green.

All three breeds have some similarities but are vastly different. I would advise reading the thread I linked if you would like to know more in depth details on each breed and their differences and how you can tell them apart.

ETA to fix typos.

Last edited:
Thank you, I had not noticed that either! So, may I ask...why do people breed EE's? Because they have unusual feather patterns?

I realize now that I have a few EE's from our local hatchery. I also have B/B/S from the Cree Line.

I will have to think about what I want to do. Those EE Roo's are beautiful.

I kept and bred EE's because they are gorgeous birds that lay a colored egg. You never know what you will get with them there is so much variability in them. I love Ameraucanas but EE's will always have a place in my heart.

Here is their description in my old Hatching Catalog:

The Easter Egger is a chicken well known for its ability to lay blue and green eggs. None of the birds in this flock lay brown or pinkish eggs. I have selected the majority of the birds to have muffs and beards, but occasionally a non-bearded or muffed bird will make it to the breeding pen because of an interesting color. Egg color can range from a light pastel blue, sea foam green, olive green, and finally to a deep army green. Some of the green eggs will have violet or chocolate colored speckles on them. The darkest green eggs are produced by Cuckoo Marans x Easter Egger Crosses. The color of the birds can be as much of a surprise as their eggs. Adults can be found in solid colors like buff, white, black, blue, splash, red, and brown, or in broken colors like cuckoo, wheaten, silver duckwing, partridge, penciled, columbian, and any other variation you can imagine. The hens lay very well and the roosters are very friendly. Extra Ameraucanas are on this yard, so occasionally you may receive a pure blue, black, splash, or white Ameraucana chick.

Back
Top Bottom