Araucana Ameraucana strain

BantamRun

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Gaylord, MI
Hello,
I just bought three chicks from the local FFH that were labeled Araucana Ameraucana strain. It said they were not to be confused with Easter Eggers as they are pure bred. Could anyone tell me what that means exactly? Are they a cross between the Araucana and the Ameraucana or is it a breed in itself? It says they lay several different colors of eggs that include blue, green, pink, or olive drab.
I would appreciate any info anyone could give me. Thanks in advance.

Araucanas and Ameraucanas are two different breeds. Both breeds are known for laying blue eggs. Both breeds actually are allowed to lay blue or bluish green eggs. However, neither breed lays an olive colored egg or a pink egg. A pink egg is actually a 'light' brown egg. Neither of these breeds would contain any genes that would contribute to olive or pink eggs. Araucanas are a tufted, rumpless breed. Ameraucanas are a bearded, muffed, tailed breed.

Well, there are Araucanas and Ameraucanas which lay eggs in varying shades of blue. Then there are also EE which lay blue, green, pink, olive drab or other off colored eggs. I'm not sure what FFH is , but those birds sure sound like Easter Eggers.

Yep. Easter Eggers. Araucanas and Ameraucanas are individual breeds, not strains, and should lay only blue eggs. My that sounds like a flim flam! You may be quite happy with them as egg layers, most EE's are good laying hens.

Well, there are Araucanas and Ameraucanas which lay eggs in varying shades of blue. Then there are also EE which lay blue, green, pink, olive drab or other off colored eggs. I'm not sure what FFH is , but those birds sure sound like Easter Eggers.

Sorry. FFH = Family Farm and Home. One of the three does have tufts and the other two do not yet. All of them have tails. They will be two weeks tomorrow. I will see if I can get some pics a little later. Thanks.

If they have tails, they are not Araucanas. If The chicks came from a feed store they are Easter eggers. Sorry. There are a few hatcheries that offer genuine Ameraucanas, but the prices are very expensive. I am not sure, but I do not think there any hatcheries that offer genuine Araucanas. The tufts you are seeing are probably muffs.

You may be quite happy with them as egg layers, most EE's are good laying hens.
That's the most important thing. It really isn't that important if they are pure bred or not. I was just curious. My daughter has been wanting some chickens that lay colored eggs so I decided to get some of these and was just curious what they meant by strain yet calling them pure bred. Thanks to all for the help.

If they have tails, they are not Araucanas. If The chicks came from a feed store they are Easter eggers. Sorry. There are a few hatcheries that offer genuine Ameraucanas, but the prices are very expensive. I am not sure, but I do not think there any hatcheries that offer genuine Araucanas. The tufts you are seeing are probably muffs.

You are probably right. They are located just below or around the ears. If anyone is curious they can find them here. http://townlinehatchery.com/product/araucana-ameraucana-strain/

Back
Top Bottom