1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Araucana bantam????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by funny farmer, Jun 1, 2012.

1. funny farmer

funny farmer Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2012
    Aberdeen, Washington
    This is Scar-lett, our newly aquired bantam hen. She was given to us by one of my coworkers who is relocating and needed to rehome her chickens. Notice the scar on her head? The story is that she was attacked by a hawk who was able to do quite a bit of damage before being rescued by her former owners. She lays pale green eggs, and has the muff like my Araucana rooster. Her former owner told me she thought she was an Araucana bantam. Any thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    araucanas are rumpless

its possible she is a splash ameraucana which has a rump as well as the beard and muff

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    not an araucana they are tail less and can be tufted or non tufted but not muffed and they lay blue eggs below is an araucana mix tufted roo and than a pure non tufted roo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. funny farmer

funny farmer Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2012
    Aberdeen, Washington
    According to her former owner, she laid pale green eggs, but she laid her first egg for me this afternoon, and to me, it's more of a robin's egg blue. Maybe she's an easter egger mix? Doesn't matter to me either way, I'm just curious :)

5. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

that second picture. It looks like he is crying! :lau

He looks like he's saying "I has no friends.."
    Poor guy lol

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  6. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    She's a Bantam Easter Egger, a real Bantam Ameraucnana would have slate colored legs and lay a blue egg.

7. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Is there a bantam and a standard size for Araucana and ameraucanas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by