Araucana Chick Sexing - Part 2

Comb is what will matter with this breed (EU/Australian standard) as they are not auto-sexing, nor can you wing feather sex them.

I can't really see the combs well in the photos...none of them are screaming roo at this point, but again I can't see the combs well.

LofMc

That only works on birds that are old enough to begin developing those male specific feathers. That's usually not until about 10 weeks or older.
I usually use it once the wing feathers are in and it hasn't let me down before. I just don't have any young chicks right now. I only have pullets that are now 8 months old and a cockerel that is 5 months. It's just one of my preferred methods of sexing them. The other three require them to be fully feathered. I try not to use the comb for sexing unless it agrees with the feathers.

Last edited:
That only works on birds that are old enough to begin developing those male specific feathers. That's usually not until about 10 weeks or older.

x2

Feather sexing in older birds depends on sex related feathers...roosters have different coloring, spiky saddle feathers...wings generally don't come into play unless the particular breed has red barring on the wings.

Feather sexing, as I think is being referred to, must be done on very young chicks (1 to 3 days of age) and only works when one parent is rapid feathering and the other slow feathering. The female chicks will have longer primaries than secondaries (coverts) while the males will have equal length primaries and secondaries (coverts) showing slower feathering.
http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld001.htm

That type of feather sexing cannot be done in older birds reliably. By then, you will be relying on secondary sexual feathers and the fact that roosters often, but not always, feather slower than pullets, but that is very dependent upon breed and bird and thus can't be relied upon across the board.

LofMc

x2

Feather sexing in older birds depends on sex related feathers...roosters have different coloring, spiky saddle feathers...wings generally don't come into play unless the particular breed has red barring on the wings.

Feather sexing, as I think is being referred to, must be done on very young chicks (1 to 3 days of age) and only works when one parent is rapid feathering and the other slow feathering. The female chicks will have longer primaries than secondaries (coverts) while the males will have equal length primaries and secondaries (coverts) showing slower feathering.
http://animalsciences.missouri.edu/reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld001.htm

That type of feather sexing cannot be done in older birds reliably. By then, you will be relying on secondary sexual feathers and the fact that roosters often, but not always, feather slower than pullets, but that is very dependent upon breed and bird and thus can't be relied upon across the board.

LofMc
X 2 - by definition, this means that feather sexing using wing feathering at 1-3 days of age is not a process that can be applied to purebred birds as the sex linked development depends on the specific crossing of the two breed types.

Back
Top Bottom