Araucana laying brown eggs???

It means it's lacking the vertebrae that make up the tail. Your bird has a tail, and isn't a standard color. If you didn't get this bird from a reputable breeder, then it's not an Araucana.

Shoot! So any hope for this one??

That's a Easter Egger, too. Araucana do not have the fluffy cheeks. Ameraucana do have tails and fluffy cheeks, but they only come in a handful of colors and do not have greenish/yellow legs/feet.

There is definitely still a chance for blue eggs, but most Easter Eggers lay green. It all depends on what the hatchery used in the cross breeding of each bird. There is no way to know for sure until a pullet actually starts laying.

Blue layer x Blue layer = Blue layer
Blue layer x White layer = Blue layer
Blue layer x Brown layer = Green layer
Green layer x Green layer = Some green layers and some brown layers

Blue layer x Blue layer = Blue layer
Blue layer x White layer = Blue layer
Blue layer x Brown layer = Green layer
Green layer x Green layer = Some green layers and some brown layers

Great chart. Very helpful to visualize what egg color you will get especially if you cross breeds. I know i am looking to cross my americaunas with a welsummer rooster if my buff Orpington goes broody, and hopefully i will get green eggs

There are really only two options for eggshell color, white or blue. Blue is dominant over white. Brown eggs are the result of a different gene that adds a 'coating' on top of the eggshell, kind of like the egg is painted before getting laid. A green egg is the brown 'coating' being applied over a blue egg, instead of a white egg. There are over nine different 'coating' genes, and a chicken can have more than one. That's what makes for so many different shades of brown and green.

The APA and the ABA do not allow beards only tufts. In Continental Europe Tufts and Beards are required, In the UK there are two varieties recognized. One is rumpless and tufted and the other is tailed, bearded and crested. This last type is the only one in Austalia and New Zealand. The bird pictured seems to be of the European Standard.

I recently confirmed that she lays a blue egg, she just started laying after a molt and is laying eggs that have more color on the shell. I posted this right around the end of laying and assume the color was getting lighter the more she was laying them. I'm thinking she could be a mix between a white egg layer, I'm not positive though... just my thinking.

Back
Top Bottom