Araucana laying brown eggs???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Braxton Brigade, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    X2 on Mutt Farm; if she's a true Araucana, the light blue egg has to be hers. Otherwise, she's not a full Araucana even if she's rumpless. Sometimes other breeds and hybrids can be rumpless via a genetic defect. If you will post a pic, we'd be happy to take a look at her for you. :eek:)

2. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    [​IMG] [​IMG] this is her she's super cute regardless of egg color. I have yet to witness a egg literally being laid in front of me but I made a guess. Hoping she's the one laying those random eggs when I get 6 a day instead of 5.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Looks like a rumpless, clean faced Easter Egger to me. And since she doesn't even lay a colored egg, I'd just call her a mixed breed, honestly.

4. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I agree; she lacks the muffs of pure Araucanas. Also, from what I can see of her toes, she probably has greenish legs, whereas pure Araucanas have slate blue or black legs.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  5. Braxton Brigade

Braxton Brigade Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Braxton, Ms
    So the consensus is... Mix bird [​IMG]. She will have a home with us no matter what, to be honest she's my favorite anyways.

6. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    There's nothing wrong with mixed breeds. Their often endowed with hybrid vigor that makes them hardier and more disease resistant than pure breeds. :eek:)

7. BuffaloridaGirl

BuffaloridaGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

My Araucana must be a mix too bc she lays brown eggs as well. So 4 weeks ago I bought two more chicks and one is another Araucana so I have another shot at pretty blue eggs! Fingers crossed! My Araucana has the slate legs and everything though :(

[​IMG]

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That's an Easter Egger. There is no guarantee that you will get colored eggs from an Easter Egger. Araucana are very, very rare birds that can only be purchased from a breeder.

9. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If she's laying brown eggs she's definitely not a pure Araucana. Also, pure Aracaunas are rumpless.

10. BuffaloridaGirl

BuffaloridaGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

What does Rumpless mean??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by