Araucana or Ameraucana or EE??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GoldenCometLover, Oct 8, 2010.

1. GoldenCometLover

GoldenCometLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    Hi - this is my girl Rocky - she's got gorgeous silver gray feathers and lovely muffs/tufts on her face - this is the best pic I could get of her ( a little blurry) as she is the fastest of my girls and is not easy to get a pic of! She has very cool legs - half the reason I picked her! They are silver-dark greyish and depending on the light, look a little green....no eggs yet....she's about 24 weeks old. I will try and get a better pic tonight

I was told she is an Araucana, but I thought they don't have a tail? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. coq au vin

coq au vin Chillin' With My Peeps

North American Quechua

3. GoldenCometLover

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    Does that mean an Araucana? [​IMG]

4. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    She looks like an Easter Egger to me. Is she hatchery stock? They often sell their EE's as Ameraucana, though they really are mixes.

5. GoldenCometLover

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    Nope - I bought her off a small farm in a nearby town...I love her no matter what she turns out to be casue she really is gorgeous, [​IMG] just curious to know what I actually have and what color eggs I might expect to get...I will try and take a better pic of her tonight so you can see her little face muffs...which are fantastic when she looks straight at you!

6. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    her feathers and pattern looks like silver phoenix to me...

7. GoldenCometLover

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    Wow - what's that? [​IMG]

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    She looks like a silver ameraucana. Does she have a bit of salmon coloring on her breast?

Did the person breed ameraucanas and maybe you heard wrong??? She could still be an easter egger.

She is not a Quechua, if a person was breeding them, they would know.

9. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    She's a Easter Egger.

Araucanas have tufts &/or tailless & lays a blue egg, which are a few feathers growing out their ear, with no beard, Araucanas ideally should have no tail & tufts but you can have a clean face tailed bird, but you will never have a beard. If you are buying a Araucana look for a breeder who says they have "True Araucanas."

Araucana:
    [​IMG]

Ameraucanas may look like EE's but are a true breed that has a set type, colors & always lays a blue (not green) egg. Ameraucanas are always bearded, never clean faced & always have slate colored legs. When looking to buy a Ameraucana look for a breeder that says:
    1. Says they have Ameraucana
    2. Tells you the colors they breed that you can look up in the breed standard & size, They come in large fowl & bantam as do the Araucana & EE's
    3. Always say "blue egg" & never says green or "ish" anything.
    4. Dose not ever say Araucana/Ameraucana...ever, Dead give away to a EE mutt from a hatchery.

Both Araucana & Ameraucana are still rare breeds & as of yet no hatchery has them.

Ameraucana:
    [​IMG]

EE's are fancy mutts...plain as that, they can lay just about any color eggs most offen a greenish blueish & are known for having gray legs & having both bearded & clean faced birds. EE's can be anything crossed with something that lays a blue/green/pink...you name it egg.

See both breeds & Easter Eggers (which are not a breed) at FeatherSite

10. GoldenCometLover

Sep 23, 2010
    Freeville, NY
    I dont' think she has any salmon on her, but I will check tonight when I get home from work...I am pretty sure about she said Aracuana, I did send an email to find out but have not heard back...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by