Araucana or EE 10 week Hen or Rooster?

ABeautifulLife

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 20, 2013
Central Florida
Her name is Ninja and she is 10 weeks and 1 day old. We got her from a hatchery that seemed like they knew what they were doing.. (I'm not saying they did but what do I know?) :p We got 2 "Ameraucanas and 2 RIRs 1 of each died and Ninja survived.. she was originally black with slight blonde above the beak and started turning white. She has always had muffs/tufts under her eyes and has always been rumpless. Her and our roo seem to get into it once or twice ive noticed.. only like she stands up tall to him when he tries to bully her. She's always been a late bloomer compared to the RIRs like with feathering.. She is the brave explorer but also very sweet. She will tolerate being touched and handled but is not the first to come up to you. Some of her black has irridescent blue in the sun. Her comb is about the same size as all the other same age hens we have. Any knowledge you can pass on is helpfull as I'm new to chickens and am very intersted! thank you
big_smile.png

Her with our roo and same age RIR chick in front of him

Thanks sourland! , what makes you think that? Her personality is nothing like his and I just don't understand how if she is a he, how can be he so small compared to my other roo? ninja is 3 weeks older than him

Hope that I am wrong, but that coloring is most commonly seen in EE cockerels rather than pullets. Don't be in a hurry to get rid of him 'just in case'. Since EE are basically mixed breeds, there can be a wide variation in size/rate of growth/looks/egg laying and the list goes on.

Thanks so much! She is very special to me so if she turns out he it will be a tough choice between Roos. Our city does not allow roosters unfortunately so maybe it will come down to which is quieter :(

Back
Top Bottom