Is my Aracauna a hen or rooster????

Lemonade532

Hatching
Nov 25, 2023
I’ve got a 14 week old lavender auracauna, she looks like a female but tends to be a bit more bossy towards the other chickens, she fluffs up and fights but never attempts to mount the other chickens when she’s in the cage she’s make a loud almost croaky kind of crow but my neighbours have rooster and she never seems to sound like them, she’ll usually stop once she’s outside, please I need some help as Im unable to have roosters but I wanna make sure she’s not one before having to give her up

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpeg
    IMG_1380.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    362.2 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1379.jpeg
    IMG_1379.jpeg
    400.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1444.jpeg
    IMG_1444.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1443.jpeg
    IMG_1443.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1435.jpeg
    IMG_1435.jpeg
    848.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 19
This one is a tough call. I see no male specific feathering, but the comb is very red for its age. I think it is probably a late developing cockerel, but I am not absolutely sure of that. What we need are folks who have raised the British/Australian version of this breed to give their input. American Araucanas are completely different.

At 14 weeks I'm leaning cockerel, because the comb is super red and it also has big feet. The croaking sound is also a giveaway. Cockerels often sound really funny when they're attempting to crow. I'd give this bird a few more weeks though, it's giving mixed signals.

I’m saying Pullet - probably at this point he would have some fancy tail/hackle feathers. I’m saying Pullet and also I would post some more pictures here in about a week.

Back
Top Bottom