Araucana pullet or cockerel?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mccrorychickies, May 11, 2016.

1. Male

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Female

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mccrorychickies

mccrorychickies New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Hi there, I am a first time chicken owner and I have a ~9 week old aruacana who i think might be a male. Some of my reasons for thinking, she has much thicker legs than my other chicks, her comb is darkening more so than the others, and she can be aggressive toward the other chicks at times. Here are some pictures of her from this morning. Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

You actually have an Easter Egger, not an Araucana. [​IMG] Araucanas are pretty hard to find. I believe you've got a cockerel on your hands, but if I were you, I would hold on to him until he crows. We also had an EE with red shoulder patches and a pink, puffy comb at around the same age as yours, so we gave "him" away. Come to find out, "he" ended up being a she. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ~Alex

3. Alexandra33

Oh, and welcome to BYC!!!!!! [​IMG] We're so glad you joined our community! [​IMG]

~Alex

4. mccrorychickies

mccrorychickies New Egg

May 11, 2016
    Hey Alex, thanks for the info!! After reading your post and doing a little bit more research, I am now wondering if the tips of the saddle feathers and the comb might be more indicative of the sex. The feathers seem to be rounded rather than pointy, which I've read suggest female. And the pea comb (I think it's a pea comb) does not have three distinct rows, which might also suggest that the EE is female. Are these valid? From what I can gather, a lot of people have trouble sexing EE's. Thanks so much! Here is another picture.
    [​IMG]

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG]
    I'm leaning towards a Easter Egger cockerel.

6. Alexandra33

You're so welcome! [​IMG] It's a little early for your baby to have the pointed hackle and saddle feathers, but you could always lift up the feathers at the base of its tail to see if there are any new, pointed ones coming in. 3 rows of peas can be a sign of a cockerel, but not always. A couple of my hens have that, actually! Yes, EEs can be very difficult to determine the gender of. [​IMG]

~Alex

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by