• Male

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Female

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mccrorychickies

Hatching
May 11, 2016
Hi there, I am a first time chicken owner and I have a ~9 week old aruacana who i think might be a male. Some of my reasons for thinking, she has much thicker legs than my other chicks, her comb is darkening more so than the others, and she can be aggressive toward the other chicks at times. Here are some pictures of her from this morning. Thank you!

You actually have an Easter Egger, not an Araucana.
smile.png
Araucanas are pretty hard to find. I believe you've got a cockerel on your hands, but if I were you, I would hold on to him until he crows. We also had an EE with red shoulder patches and a pink, puffy comb at around the same age as yours, so we gave "him" away. Come to find out, "he" ended up being a she.
he.gif

~Alex

Hey Alex, thanks for the info!! After reading your post and doing a little bit more research, I am now wondering if the tips of the saddle feathers and the comb might be more indicative of the sex. The feathers seem to be rounded rather than pointy, which I've read suggest female. And the pea comb (I think it's a pea comb) does not have three distinct rows, which might also suggest that the EE is female. Are these valid? From what I can gather, a lot of people have trouble sexing EE's. Thanks so much! Here is another picture.

You're so welcome!
smile.png
It's a little early for your baby to have the pointed hackle and saddle feathers, but you could always lift up the feathers at the base of its tail to see if there are any new, pointed ones coming in. 3 rows of peas can be a sign of a cockerel, but not always. A couple of my hens have that, actually! Yes, EEs can be very difficult to determine the gender of.
roll.png

~Alex

I was wondering the same thing about my chicken. We have thought she was a she bc well she kinda looks like the other girls, and she doesn't bother any of them, my rooster on the other hand chases them around all the time. ( We are new to raising chickens) anyways she has been a she till this afternoon I went out and was feeding them some treats and she crowed at me 😳. She's the same age as my rooster but her crow was way more🤔 mainly lol, bc he's just really getting his down. So I've attached a couple of different angles of her/him. Can anyone help identify what I have?

Attachments

• PXL_20210613_144251112.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210613_144251112.PORTRAIT.jpg
    502.6 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210613_144215322.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210613_144215322.PORTRAIT.jpg
    549.7 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20210613_144211674.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20210613_144211674.PORTRAIT.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 9
I was wondering the same thing about my chicken. We have thought she was a she bc well she kinda looks like the other girls, and she doesn't bother any of them, my rooster on the other hand chases them around all the time. ( We are new to raising chickens) anyways she has been a she till this afternoon I went out and was feeding them some treats and she crowed at me 😳. She's the same age as my rooster but her crow was way more🤔 mainly lol, bc he's just really getting his down. So I've attached a couple of different angles of her/him. Can anyone help identify what I have?
How old?

Hey Alex, thanks for the info!! After reading your post and doing a little bit more research, I am now wondering if the tips of the saddle feathers and the comb might be more indicative of the sex. The feathers seem to be rounded rather than pointy, which I've read suggest female. And the pea comb (I think it's a pea comb) does not have three distinct rows, which might also suggest that the EE is female. Are these valid? From what I can gather, a lot of people have trouble sexing EE's. Thanks so much! Here is another picture.
Looking like a cockerel. Welcome to BYC! :frow

Your bird is a for sure cockerel, and the OP's bird is most likely a cockerel too.

Back
Top Bottom