araucana statistics

pure Amerucana's and arucanas do go broody and hatch their own chicks. the birds that you get from a hatchery are EE's or mutts and will go broody occasionaly but are often more production based.

I own Araucana and Ameraucana..they are two separate breeds, not mixes. I also own EEs.

My Araucana are VERY broody girls..just about everyone broods at some point in the year. I have been fighting hens all winter and as fast as I break them, more go broody.
barnie.gif
The araucana will snuggle on anything you put under them, including your hand.
lau.gif
I had one hatch out turkey poults for me once as well.

Here is my Quetros Araucana (tufted tailed) hen with a turkey poult looking out from her backside.
100_3057.jpg

I also raise silkies and have found my araucana beat out silkie broodies big time.

My Ameraucana are more seasonal broodies and have not gone broody all winter, but they are major broodies in the spring/summer. As a matter of fact, I think one of my most broody in that pen is beginning.

Here is a good close up pic of a few of my bantam buff ameraucana..
100_1966.jpg

I have an EE hen that will go broody once a year and an Ameraucana in that pen as well that likes to brood. None of my other EEs will give an egg a second look.

This is Amelia my black ameraucana (housed with EEs) who likes to brood:
EasterEggflock021.jpg

Jody

Jody, thanks for sharing pics of your pretty Araucana and Ameraucana.. I have both (24) in bator now, due to hatch next saturday... I'm going crazy waiting
barnie.gif

You're welcome SunnyChook. I wish you lots of luck on your hatch.
jumpy.gif

I forgot to mention that the hen is not a typical American araucana. The US standard of perfection calls for tufted and rumpless traits on the bird, however we do keep some tufted/tailed and rumpless/clean faced as well.

Also, as for how well they lay - all three lay very well in my opinion. Other than their normal winter break for moult, they are consistent layers. My ameraucana lay nice blue eggs. My araucana lay various shades of blue and green, but mostly blue. My ee's lay blue, green and brown (some folks call them pink) eggs.

Here's some more pics for your enjoyment..
100_3692.jpg

100_2828.jpg

100_2818.jpg

100_2019.jpg

100_2015.jpg

Jody

Thanks Jody, the ameraucana eggs I have in bator are blue and the bantam araucana eggs are more green then blue.. very pretty eggs...

Count down.. 6 days till hatch day
jumpy.gif

Back
Top Bottom