Araucana thread anyone?

Last night I took Ratchet out of her nest box and added a bunch of straw and made a (what I thought was adequate) bowl-shaped nest and put 6 fertile eggs in it. This morning it looked like she settled into it pretty well, but when I looked in on her this evening she had moved the nest. She took half the straw about a foot away and made a new nest and moved the eggs there. It doesn't seem very deep. I hope she knows what she is doing.

it doesn't have to be deep, just sort of cup like. 6 eggs are not too much to cover, don't worry. you can always add some straw if you need it.

please remove some wood shaving when she gets up and put more straw. only if it is not too hot where you live you can leave it.
Its not real deep... no more than two inches. I looked in on her this morning and she had added more straw. I would have love to have seen her move her nest!
I emailed Nancy Utterback to see if she was a "professional" broody but Nancy couldn't remember if she had brooded chicks before. I'm betting she has since it looks like she knows what she's doing and she's older than dirt.

Well, Friday I'm going to pickup a Rubbermaid dog house to use as an temporary shelter for young chickens before they move permanently into a coop. I'm hoping in two weeks to get them outside. I'm going to have to block off the round run so that the bigs can't get in there, and let the littles run around in there. Then we can start transitioning into the flock.
So far, my flock has been really good about accepting new members When I've added to the flock in the past, we'd have a day to a week between fences, and then one night I put the new ones in the coop and close it up for the night... Usually they've grumbled but accepted newbies at that point.

Back
Top Bottom