Araucana thread anyone?

If it makes you feel any better, Blue Boy's double tufted blue companion (the one he was shown with) lays a GREEN egg! Yes, it is straight up green!
Looloo’s first few eggs were quite green.
The small green eggs are from her.
55B3ED43-B719-40D4-86C0-152EE2F5C3D5.jpeg

Supposedly breeding tufted to tufted means a 100% mortality rate, but I did read somewhere that some chicks will hatch from such a mating. Any idea what the breeders on the Facebook Araucana groups do regarding breeding?

they say 25% mortality. 2 years ago I set 6 eggs. 1 died in the shell, 1 was a runt and died at 2 weeks and 1 died at 3 weeks. the last one maybe had cocci so probably nothing to do with tufts.

No, only a 25% mortality rate.
Tufted to tufted breeding yields:
50% tufted
25% clean faced
25% dead in shell
Clean faced to tufted breeding yields a 50/50 split.
So basically tufted to tufted breeding eliminates the 25% clean faced chicks. Breeding clean faced to tufted will get you more LIVE chicks.

statistics suck. I hatched all tufted chicks.

@Brahma Chicken5000 The top egg is from Blue Boy's mate, and the bottom one is from the clean faced blue hen. Almost embarrassing how olive that egg is, but she has proven herself in the show ring so... :idunnoView attachment 1816688
Brown egg genes are a nightmare to get rid of in blue and white egg laying breeds. I know that Isabella Leghorns lay tinted eggs because a brown egg layer was used to get the coloring onto Leghorns.

Last night I took Ratchet out of her nest box and added a bunch of straw and made a (what I thought was adequate) bowl-shaped nest and put 6 fertile eggs in it. This morning it looked like she settled into it pretty well, but when I looked in on her this evening she had moved the nest. She took half the straw about a foot away and made a new nest and moved the eggs there. It doesn't seem very deep. I hope she knows what she is doing.

Back
Top Bottom