Araucana thread anyone?

How are we all doing? Being safe? Being healthy?
So far so good here. There is one confirmed coronavirus case in the county I work. Aside from not eating out anymore I'm going about business as usual.

I'm pretty frustrated breeding-wise. Two of my breeding hens aren't laying yet, I had to put down my blue clean faced hen a few weeks ago, Triton (my triple tufted cock) hurt his hip or back about a month ago and can't breed, and Blue doesn't seem to be fertilizing his hen's eggs yet. Grrr! :barnie

I haven't been getting the alerts.

there is no virus on the island where I live nor anyone I know or people from fb heard of anyone sick - except on tv. one girl says her father died of heart attack and they oficially claimed he died of coronavirus. as the ateist government ordered locking up all the churches and other religeous places I wonder what this is about. and the worst thing is we are not allowed to go out. people that still work (very few of them) have a special permit. the fine for getting out is 5000 eur and they already collected a lot of money. legal mafia.

@chickengr Were you getting more Araucanas this year? I was thinking someone hatched a few for you last year?

In addition to my above posted woes, I had to break up my cock flock. :( Last weekend I sold MJ, my black/mottled tufted cockerel. He was the leader of the cock flock. The evening he left, the other 2 cockerels started fighting (Lil Sweet and Tuftsies). These two were hatched together, raised together, and have never had a problem with one another. I separated them for a half hour, then things were fine. The next morning, they got into a knock-down, drag-out, someone-is-going-to-die cock fight. At first I let it go because I figured they were establishing a new pecking order with MJ gone. I also figured they would tire and stop. After 45 minutes of watching them through the security cameras I went out to break it up and both were so exhausted they were falling over gasping for air. Lil Sweet was COVERED in blood, his right eye swollen shut, and entire left ear lobe gone. Tuftsies (whom I know call Tyson because of the ear biting incident) had a bloody comb and half his tufts missing. They were split up for good that day. So disappointing...

So far nothing good in my Araucana world this year. :( At least it is only early spring and there is time for things to straighten up.

@chickengr Were you getting more Araucanas this year? I was thinking someone hatched a few for you last year?

In addition to my above posted woes, I had to break up my cock flock. :( Last weekend I sold MJ, my black/mottled tufted cockerel. He was the leader of the cock flock. The evening he left, the other 2 cockerels started fighting (Lil Sweet and Tuftsies). These two were hatched together, raised together, and have never had a problem with one another. I separated them for a half hour, then things were fine. The next morning, they got into a knock-down, drag-out, someone-is-going-to-die cock fight. At first I let it go because I figured they were establishing a new pecking order with MJ gone. I also figured they would tire and stop. After 45 minutes of watching them through the security cameras I went out to break it up and both were so exhausted they were falling over gasping for air. Lil Sweet was COVERED in blood, his right eye swollen shut, and entire left ear lobe gone. Tuftsies (whom I know call Tyson because of the ear biting incident) had a bloody comb and half his tufts missing. They were split up for good that day. So disappointing...

So far nothing good in my Araucana world this year. :( At least it is only early spring and there is time for things to straighten up.

a friend of mine managed to send 10 araucana's eggs to another friend of mine in north greece. she will (hopefully) hatch them for me:fl

I had a lot of problems with my new place. I was hoping to move there before summer but with this new situation I don't know what to think and what to hope.

Hi all!

For me it's pretty much business as usual. I'm in healthcare, so deemed essential. I go to work daily, although our patient load has dropped significantly. We aren't seeing sick patients in the office. They're being done as virtual or phone visits. Then depending on how that goes may be sent to a testing facility, urgent care, or ED.

My hubby is also still going to work (financial institution), and practically getting killed figuratively of course, daily. I flew my sister in law in from LA as soon as the schools were closed down. She doesn't work. So I still have someone at home with my kids and is doing their homeschooling now.

In a wild turn of events today I'm getting an Araucana roo for free. Last year I couldn't find any in my state. He's an odd color though, and I'm not sure what to call him variety wise. I wonder how many roos I'll end up with after I get my hatching eggs from Ann. I got 3 cockerels out of the batch from my CCL hen, and SDW cockerel.

Apparently my river the blue paint won't be good for breeding. She constantly has poo stuck to her butt even when I trim her feathers.

Any way here's a pic of the roo I'm picking up today. What variety is he? I've heard Red Pyle heavy on the Red, Red breasted, brown etc. @Trish1974 , I was trying to tag you in the FB groups, but it wouldn't work.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1586389560272.jpg
    FB_IMG_1586389560272.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 6
Hi all!

For me it's pretty much business as usual. I'm in healthcare, so deemed essential. I go to work daily, although our patient load has dropped significantly. We aren't seeing sick patients in the office. They're being done as virtual or phone visits. Then depending on how that goes may be sent to a testing facility, urgent care, or ED.

My hubby is also still going to work (financial institution), and practically getting killed figuratively of course, daily. I flew my sister in law in from LA as soon as the schools were closed down. She doesn't work. So I still have someone at home with my kids and is doing their homeschooling now.

In a wild turn of events today I'm getting an Araucana roo for free. Last year I couldn't find any in my state. He's an odd color though, and I'm not sure what to call him variety wise. I wonder how many roos I'll end up with after I get my hatching eggs from Ann. I got 3 cockerels out of the batch from my CCL hen, and SDW cockerel.

Apparently my river the blue paint won't be good for breeding. She constantly has poo stuck to her butt even when I trim her feathers.

Any way here's a pic of the roo I'm picking up today. What variety is he? I've heard Red Pyle heavy on the Red, Red breasted, brown etc. @Trish1974 , I was trying to tag you in the FB groups, but it wouldn't work.

I saw you posted him, but I didn't know it was you!! He's so pretty!! I'd look him over for any partial tail feathers. I have one, a paint blue cockerel who is actually tail-less, but has a few tail feathers... which is a fault. I'm hoping to breed him to one of my true araucana to see what I get, but we'll see what happens.

Other than that... How is everybody doing?? I've finally given in and bought a new laptop, so I'm going to be on more often... and I'm working from home finally. The whole thing with my employer after I was tested negative was just shit... if you pardon the phrase. They screened me with questions and then told me I couldn't come back until I had my cough under control... I had the flu at the end of Feb, and I've had a cough since... and its now allergy season and I'm an asthmatic... I'm going to be coughing for months. And all I needed was 10 min to get my work laptop. Sigh... it ended up working out and I got the work machine, but dang it took some swift talking. And before somebody says something, I understand that it was a liability thing... that they didn't want to expose me.

I saw you posted him, but I didn't know it was you!! He's so pretty!! I'd look him over for any partial tail feathers. I have one, a paint blue cockerel who is actually tail-less, but has a few tail feathers... which is a fault. I'm hoping to breed him to one of my true araucana to see what I get, but we'll see what happens.

Other than that... How is everybody doing?? I've finally given in and bought a new laptop, so I'm going to be on more often... and I'm working from home finally. The whole thing with my employer after I was tested negative was just shit... if you pardon the phrase. They screened me with questions and then told me I couldn't come back until I had my cough under control... I had the flu at the end of Feb, and I've had a cough since... and its now allergy season and I'm an asthmatic... I'm going to be coughing for months. And all I needed was 10 min to get my work laptop. Sigh... it ended up working out and I got the work machine, but dang it took some swift talking. And before somebody says something, I understand that it was a liability thing... that they didn't want to expose me.

They couldn't just have someone drop it off at your door? Sheesh!

He's free, so I'll take him any way. He was bred by one of the breeders listed in the Araucana club of America.

I think he's a mix of colors. He doesn't seem to be one variety. The picture looks like he has a straight comb. Is the owner sure he isn't a mix?

Back
Top Bottom