Araucana thread anyone?

So I ended up giving away my Edd Sheppard stock, with the exception of 2 hens. Also ended up keeping 3 duckwing pullets and 1 DT cock. Had to downsize due to feedcost plummetting. I plan to focus more on my Ameraucanas this year, so my Araucanas will be my hobbie. I'll also keep some copper Marans for chocolate eggs as well. Didn't realize how many chickens I had until the wife told me that I had more than 40. Reality hit so I had to give away some and the culls went to freezer camp.
6479849B-F4AE-48BB-8D37-2EB5C1D1D8AD.jpeg

This is my mister. He has a big comb, but he is DT so he made the cut.

81505D6E-D06A-4787-83F0-BA7629855380.jpeg

This is my DT duckwing gal. A few weeks back I noticed that she kept turning her head crazily. Then I was like, no!!! Signs of wry neck. Readnup on it and then found out that adult birds can have it too. I've been giving her Vit E and hand feeding her sunflower seeds and she's been improving.

4E96A901-2730-4358-B843-769B00929CE5.jpeg

Here's my fav non-standard DT pullet F1 Edd Sheppard. I love her tuffs. Her mom had none, but loving hers. Looks like dad had good genes (gave away dad).

B8CD387D-D644-4D4C-B8E1-01AD0E03755D.jpeg

As you can see, chickens been molting all summer and now, maybe molting into fall.

Hope all is well - From smoky CA.

I love Edds araucanas, though they are not "show type", they are some of my friendliest birds. The diversity is striking as well. We specifically ordered tailed birds from him. They are very beautiful.

Here is one of my prettiest roosters, not a great angle, he is not very photogenic.
View attachment 2359078

I do have to agree with you, his line are very friendly. Never been attack by any of the growouts from him. Marans are a different story. You have to show them who is the boss.

What's the reason for wanting tailed Araucanas?

So I ended up giving away my Edd Sheppard stock, with the exception of 2 hens. Also ended up keeping 3 duckwing pullets and 1 DT cock. Had to downsize due to feedcost plummetting. I plan to focus more on my Ameraucanas this year, so my Araucanas will be my hobbie. I'll also keep some copper Marans for chocolate eggs as well. Didn't realize how many chickens I had until the wife told me that I had more than 40. Reality hit so I had to give away some and the culls went to freezer camp.
Hope all is well - From smoky CA.

Nice flock ♥ Downsizing is hard. I've about 20 (not Araucanas) that I'm trying to rehome heading into winter. Had about 60%+ cockerels this year. One final batch of eggs in the incubator. I don't have anyone to tell me I have too many but my mother who lives on my property gets a bit annoyed from time to time. LOL. I hope all remains safe from the fires and smoke.

yesterday a cat was sitting in the run when my EE hen jumped in front of her, grabbed a mouseand ran away followed by the other chickens :lau

the cat didn't move, shame on her!

I love Edds araucanas, though they are not "show type", they are some of my friendliest birds. The diversity is striking as well. We specifically ordered tailed birds from him. They are very beautiful.

Here is one of my prettiest roosters, not a great angle, he is not very photogenic.
View attachment 2359078
my marans are the friendliest birds I have ever had.
My Marans are calm but not particularly friendly. In my flocks the Araucanas and the Lavender Orpingtons (just babies) are the friendliest followed by a couple Cream Legbar hens. I pay special attention to their attitudes. It’s very important to have and breed good natured chickens. 😊

Back
Top Bottom