Araucana thread anyone?

Next year, plan is to maybe get some lavender/blue Araucanas? However, it seems that they are hard to come by. Ann told me that she has blues, but she only sells 9ct eggs and stated that if she was to send them, she could only guarantee like 2 will be from her blue pen. I Will keep searching.

Beautiful :loveLavender is my goal also. I love that color and blue. I contacted Ann and made some requests a couple of months ago, LOL. My first time dealing with her and I'm very new to Araucana as anyone can tell. I agreed to the assortment of started chicks she planned to send with the understanding she'd send eggs from her blue pen later because I also ordered eggs. I only received two eggs from the blue pen. :( I didn't know it would only be two out of ten eggs and really wish I would have had more clarity around what she was sending. One of those eggs was clear and didn't develop. The other hatched as a lavender looking, very little thing which she mentioned is most likely a recessive white. I'm thinking it's a pullet. She's about half the size of the largest chick. I have four blues from Simone so I'm not totally bummed about the situation. I love my Araucana from Simone. It was visiting her place that got me hooked on the Araucana to begin with. I do like the black, clean-faced pair I received from Ann. They are super calm which is my priority. Very nice looking chickens.

I will breed to my Lavender Orpingtons in a few months and begin that journey.

i'm
Beautiful :loveLavender is my goal also. I love that color and blue. I contacted Ann and made some requests a couple of months ago, LOL. My first time dealing with her and I'm very new to Araucana as anyone can tell. I agreed to the assortment of started chicks she planned to send with the understanding she'd send eggs from her blue pen later because I also ordered eggs. I only received two eggs from the blue pen. :( I didn't know it would only be two out of ten eggs and really wish I would have had more clarity around what she was sending. One of those eggs was clear and didn't develop. The other hatched as a lavender looking, very little thing which she mentioned is most likely a recessive white. I'm thinking it's a pullet. She's about half the size of the largest chick. I have four blues from Simone so I'm not totally bummed about the situation. I love my Araucana from Simone. It was visiting her place that got me hooked on the Araucana to begin with. I do like the black, clean-faced pair I received from Ann. They are super calm which is my priority. Very nice looking chickens.

I will breed to my Lavender Orpingtons in a few months and begin that journey.

Share some photos 🤩

i'm

Share some photos 🤩
I'm having a difficult time with photos. Here are some of of Ann's clean-faced rumpless black pair and a cuckoo cockerel. I love the black pair. The cuckoo is, well, cuckoo. Just a little too flighty for my taste. I just hatched another cuckoo cockerel from the eggs from Ann. Will post the Blues from Simone separately.
A1DED8A2-A454-4CD9-827A-D88CDA1730A7_1_105_c.jpeg
FB1884A6-7A00-4496-BB19-2B4ED9C38E14_1_105_c.jpeg
962300E8-C0B4-4530-8D22-B6A60D655379_1_105_c.jpeg
B4CD38C4-6C97-4A0D-8055-ACEE18812025_1_105_c.jpeg

My favorite pen. Hatched from eggs from Simone who lives just over an hour south of me so I can pick them up personally but these guys were shipped. Blue cockerel clean-faced. This whole hatch is very friendly and calm. Very enjoyable to work with.

79CAEF4F-FC9F-48AD-8EB5-097A521756ED_1_105_c.jpeg

Single Tufted, pullet. She is blue and beginning to get some chest leakage. Very dainty.
70475918-FB0A-47DD-B3E0-F17502A25955_1_105_c.jpeg

This little girl is my avatar. The photo of my avatar was taken when she was much younger and it is photoshopped. She is pure black so far and double-tufted. A stellar pullet. She gets your attention. She hatched with the three blues and was always quite special.
88732FBE-0714-4390-A5D3-0F01C7758F11_1_105_c.jpeg

This guy is solid blue. The photo doesn't show that very well. He is dark blue and very friendly. The cockerel below him is also solid blue but a little darker shade.
D13CCD09-35BD-4A65-B13D-F9B7AD58E961_1_105_c.jpeg

My favorite pen. Hatched from eggs from Simone who lives just over an hour south of me so I can pick them up personally but these guys were shipped. Blue cockerel clean-faced. This whole hatch is very friendly and calm. Very enjoyable to work with.

View attachment 2406196
Single Tufted, pullet. She is blue and beginning to get some chest leakage. Very dainty.
View attachment 2406197

This little girl is my avatar. The photo of my avatar was taken when she was much younger and it is photoshopped. She is pure black so far and double-tufted. A stellar pullet. She gets your attention. She hatched with the three blues and was always quite special.
View attachment 2406198

This guy is solid blue. The photo doesn't show that very well. He is dark blue and very friendly. The cockerel below him is also solid blue but a little darker shade.
View attachment 2406200

You are lucky to have someone close by to get Araucanas. For being as big as a state CA is, it's difficult to find Araucanas. There is a few breeders in N. CA, but it's like 3-5 hour drive.

Found a guy on Craigslist, so I will try him in Spring. I think he just lets his birds co-mingle so not sure if I will get standard birds. He claims to have gotten his birds from Ann Charles.

I'm in a few chicken groups, and I must say that the Ameraucana group keeps the best detailed records of their pen. Marans and Araucanas breeders may send eggs/chicks, but you don't always get the info of which pen they come from. Usually a vague answer.

Last edited:
Yes. Vague answers and lack of complete information so one can make an informed purchase - or pass. I sort of defended a breeder earlier but have since deleted that post. When someone comes to me asking for hatching eggs, I wouldn't sell eggs I know wouldn't represent the breed. Live and learn.

So, someone decided to lay a pullet from my Araucana pen. 🤔. Give em a few days of practice then I will start saving then for test hatch.

Next to brown egg for contrast.

View attachment 2417878

don't hatch their first eggs. if they hatch the chicks will be weak and get sick easily. you don't need to introduce any disease into your flock.

they should be at least 10 mo old for hatching their eggs.

Back
Top Bottom