Araucana thread anyone?

don't hatch their first eggs. if they hatch the chicks will be weak and get sick easily. you don't need to introduce any disease into your flock.

they should be at least 10 mo old for hatching their eggs.
Thank you for this information. I haven't seen this in my test hatches with pullets that are 6 months old. The shells are harder but I incubate with humidity around 50-60% the entire time. Chicks are a little smaller but healthy so far.

Is here something about Araucana pullet eggs that is different? Or is this a general rule for all pullets. It's the first time I hear it. My Araucana pullets aren't laying yet. I was speaking of other breeds.
A lot of people on here insist on not hatching ANY pullet eggs. They claim that chicks rarely live from them. I don't find any proof in my own pullet eggs hatching

A lot of people on here insist on not hatching ANY pullet eggs. They claim that chicks rarely live from them. I don't find any proof in my own pullet eggs hatching

I think it is a preference. I've hatch pullet eggs as well and no issues growing up. Chickens die for no reason sometime. Haven't had anything really nasty. Worse thing I usually get is the annual fowl pox due to me living close to creeks/waterways.

E5BC9D54-77C4-4518-BDBD-FA5F602FB256.jpeg

62BC675A-4291-4D7E-8BC8-4B45E0F15B3D.jpeg

17818524-8989-4653-A757-91EB133E2916.jpeg

This sweetypie is growing up super. She is sweet and lets me handle her. I'm surprised that she is fully black, no leakage. She is a cross between DT BBR roo x blue Ameraucana.

Hoping to get some blue Araucana chicks in December. Hopefully I'll be shipped a few with tuffs

Is here something about Araucana pullet eggs that is different? Or is this a general rule for all pullets. It's the first time I hear it. My Araucana pullets aren't laying yet. I was speaking of other breeds.

it is a general rule for all breeds. it is like people. if a young woman gives birth her baby is not as healthy/tough as the babies of the older/more developed women. of course there might be exceptions.

if pullets laid 30+ eggs before 6 mo there might be a good chance to get healthy chicks. but I have decided not to take any chances as I had too many weak chicks.

Back
Top Bottom