Araucana thread anyone?

Six of ten eggs from Ann Charles hatched starting on day 20. Today is day 21. Only one blue which was the only color I was interested in but hoping to have a few pullets in here at least. Blue one is still drying off. Edited to add that four of the six chicks that hatched in this batch have tails. Given that 6 of 10 developed and 4 of those 6 have yails. I'd say this is the worst Araucana hatch I've had. Won't be buying anymore from her.
6D78B6D3-C8C1-4EC2-A99E-3B36E469AE79.jpeg
D1F0A583-785E-481A-8D4F-AEEDD1955206.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this leakage? pretty soon he won’t have any blue left View attachment 2379241

I don't think enough breeders breed blue consistently because it is still not a APA/ABA approved variety color, which is interesting. The breed Araucana was accepted as a breed before Ameraucanas, but Ameraucanas has made a greater leap in improving the breed/standard itself. This year self-blue got approved and currently the Ameraucana Breeders Club is working to getting the splash variety accepted.

Thank you. That’s understandable. It’s a favorite color of mine (and lavender). I have three other blues that hatched as a darker blue and are still blue. This guy seems to morph into a new color variation by the week. He hatched silvery blue and white as you can see in the photo View attachment 2379418

I love blues as well. Got some blue copper marans growing out, blue ameraucanas and discretely looking for blue Araucanas. Overall, I'm not that impressed with the blue coloring in Araucanas though. Ann had some nice blues in the past on her website, but don't know of her current stock. Might be easier to get a nice black male Araucana and cross it with a nice laced blue orpington/splash orpington and keep the best pea comb looking babies. There is nothing such as "pure". It's more about the bird matching the standard breed. In other words, breeding true to the standard. To accomplish this, breeds of chicken have been outcrossed and crossed back in to bring in qualities that are lacking.

Anyone interested in talking Araucana? I've just, quite unexpectedly, obtained five bantam Araucana chickens..... two blue hens, two black hens and a rooster who I'm uncertain the color of (I'll post pictures as soon as I can figure out how). I'm full of questions about this breed. I know the basics, like they should be rumpless and tuffted and lay a blue to green egg. What I don't know are the details like, eye color, leg color, etc.... I would love to see photos and talk about this marvelous bird!
I have a little one here

Attachments

• B71C66C6-664F-40CF-B0AE-AF1F3D95BD8F.jpeg
    B71C66C6-664F-40CF-B0AE-AF1F3D95BD8F.jpeg
    753 KB · Views: 9
Here is mom with daughter. I am amazed by daughter's double tuffs.

3822AB8A-DB03-415D-AE3D-13F855AC74E2.jpeg

Mom used to be topdog on the pecking order, but now she's at the bottom. Funny how that works.

249348FF-A960-4016-88FC-7793F57E81A4.jpeg

Daughter's comb is getting redder and redder and Mister has been mounting her everyday. So I ordered a cat litter box from amazon. It's plastic, easy to clean and will last a long time. Chicken nest boxes are expensive this does the job well. Put a few fake eggs in there and all the pullets are curious. The white powder looking stuff is First Saturday Lime. Good prevention for bugs/mites and deodorizes the soil.

Hoping for that first blue egg from daughter.

I've also been penning Mister with my ISA Brown hen and I checked the egg the other day = fertile circle rings. Since then I've been penning Mister with my blue copper Marans hen as well. Hoping to make some rumpless tuff Olive Egger! I'm going to collect eggs for a week then do a test hatch.

I lost my BCM rooster last week, so I'm kind of bummed. However, I have 2 of his sons growing out. Olive Eggers are fun. My Ameraucana x Araucana rumpless DT is also growing out well. Hoping for a pullet.

Next year, plan is to maybe get some lavender/blue Araucanas? However, it seems that they are hard to come by. Ann told me that she has blues, but she only sells 9ct eggs and stated that if she was to send them, she could only guarantee like 2 will be from her blue pen. I Will keep searching.

Last edited:
Here's how my Araucana x Ameraucana is growing out. She has tuffs and muffs.

568F73B3-5A23-4880-A0D1-0D10C5FB9771.jpeg

I think it's a she, super small and cute.

Here is my growout of Araucana x BCM. Should be an OE. Curious to what color she'll lay.
5630AEA6-FEBD-4A95-A5F6-00BE7FA9D74A.jpeg

Still waiting on this gal to lay her 1st egg! Her comb is super red. LOVE her tuffs.
099DA5BD-E926-4BD3-84E8-B0C2F4177072.jpeg

Stuck some ISA Brown hen x Araucana cock eggs in the inucbator. Test hatch for OE/green layer.

Have a safe Halloween everyone.

Back
Top Bottom