Araucana thread anyone?

Typically at least with the large fowl they will start laying at between 5 and 7 months roos will start romancing about the same time.

Lanae

I have an Araucana now :) She's not "true" She has tufts but also has a tail. She's about 3 weeks old and is black with mottled tufts :) i'll get a picture of her asap :)

I would love to see a picture of her. If she has tufts and a tail she could still be a true araucana just not a rumpless tufted araucana.

Lanae

2 - 3 months laying I'm pretty darn sure is a typo or something, never heard of a chicken lay any earlier than 16 weeks. Even 16-17 weeks is pretty early.

My Araucanas begin from 17 weeks to 7 months old. 17 weeks only was one pullet though, everyone else tends to start around 6 months.

And speaking of which, one of my blue pullets from last fall just laid her first egg today. A very rich blue, quite nice for a first egg.
smile.png

no joke my bantams roo's start breeding at about 2 1/2 months and the hens start laying at 3 months. they go broody 2 to 4 times a year. I write everything down on my calendar so I know when they hatch. I don't know if living on the Gulf of Mexico has anything to do with it or not. We didn't really have any winter this year. My Red and Yellow Honey suckle vines were blooming in Feburary and my Blackeyed Susan vine has bloomed all winter. It didn't die and it is a annual I believe

The breeding I don't doubt, I believe I wrote in this thread a long while back when mine started breeding at about 2 months old, it's just the laying that is a bit crazy, but, if it is so, wow.

no joke my bantams roo's start breeding at about 2 1/2 months and the hens start laying at 3 months. they go broody 2 to 4 times a year. I write everything down on my calendar so I know when they hatch. I don't know if living on the Gulf of Mexico has anything to do with it or not. We didn't really have any winter this year. My Red and Yellow Honey suckle vines were blooming in Feburary and my Blackeyed Susan vine has bloomed all winter. It didn't die and it is a annual I believe

I had a customer return one of my first hatchlings last night. He was hatched in December which makes him 4.5-5 months old. He is already crowing which is why they returned him. Quite an odd looking fellow but he is already trying to breed!!!

Here's an updated picture of my 5 Araucana chicks. Couldn't seem to get a good shot of the tufts on the blue cuckoo and the blue in the back right. These came from Carmel's eggs.

Back
Top Bottom