Araucana thread anyone?

I also enjoy reading old poultry books, things about genetics (even if sometimes I can't understand them), and so on. Heres an article you may like. I haven't finished reading it yet. I have read some, not the best article I have ever read, but it is interesting enough.

http://archive.org/stream/BreedingA.../BreedingCullingByHeadPoints#page/n0/mode/1up
This is actually a very good article and makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately the practice is not used much but I have been using the general idea for about 3 years now since reading the article.

Lanae

This is actually a very good article and makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately the practice is not used much but I have been using the general idea for about 3 years now since reading the article.

Lanae
I have only read about 15 pages. Someone shared it with me on another thread
Thanks so much, reading now
No problem. I will probably finishing reading it within the week.

Last edited:
I have only read about 15 pages. Someone shared it with me on another thread
No problem. I will probably finishing reading it within the week.
I've read this before but it was a different article or it may be something I have on a CD. I bought a CD that was loaded with older poultry books and articles that were no longer in print or copyrighted.

Hello, Do any of you know of any Araucana breeders in the Northeast region of the U.S. My daughters are in 4-H and show at our local fair. There have never been any Araucana's shown. I am interested in getting some chicks or eggs to try and raise a few for the girls to show and so people around our area can see them. I'm willing to pay shipping as well if I can't find any locally.

Hello, Do any of you know of any Araucana breeders in the Northeast region of the U.S.  My daughters are in 4-H and show at our local fair.  There have never been any Araucana's shown.  I am interested in getting some chicks or eggs to try and raise a few for the girls to show and so people around our area can see them.  I'm willing to pay shipping as well if I can't find any locally.

I had 2 araucanas at the pa farm show. I'm located in south central pa. I might have some chicks this spring. Hink-jc is located above Allentown, they have lavender araucanas.

Last edited:
Hello, Do any of you know of any Araucana breeders in the Northeast region of the U.S. My daughters are in 4-H and show at our local fair. There have never been any Araucana's shown. I am interested in getting some chicks or eggs to try and raise a few for the girls to show and so people around our area can see them. I'm willing to pay shipping as well if I can't find any locally.
I am near Tamaqua. You can try me in the spring. You know they do not hatch a good percentage with double tufts generally. I have blacks and lavenders, blacks are the accepted color so you should go with that color if at all possible. I may have some eggs available if you can pick them up. They will be reasonably priced. I generally don't sell but since your daughters are interested in 4-H and showing I will try and help them if at all possible.

I do sometimes go to the Bloomsburg sale in the spring.

Last edited:
I am near Tamaqua. You can try me in the spring. You know they do not hatch a good percentage with double tufts generally. I have blacks and lavenders, blacks are the accepted color so you should go with that color if at all possible. I may have some eggs available if you can pick them up. They will be reasonably priced. I generally don't sell but since your daughters are interested in 4-H and showing I will try and help them if at all possible.

I do sometimes go to the Bloomsburg sale in the spring.

Your not to far, that gives me an excuse for a Hometown Trip! I been reading up on them for 3 years off and on. I've found breeders but none to close and with the low hatch rate already, I though it would be even worse with shipping. So, I didn't want to pay so much because you never know with shipping/handling how regular eggs will end up. My daughters show at the Bloomsburg fair for 4-h every year. At the moment we have salmon Faverolles, buckeyes, a couple pure Ameraucanas(Blue Wheaten, blue, splash, and wheaten) and a backyard flock mix for just pretty eggs to sell. And 3 turkeys at the moment. My youngest daughter won 4-h Grand Champion at the fair with her salmon faverolle hen this past year. I was to both sales at Bloomsburg last year. My one daughter wanted turkey eggs in the spring and hence our 3 that we have now! I also purchased a trio of Bantam white cochins for the girls to show at the fair and then sold them during fair week. We went to the sale in the fall and sold all the extra roos and things we weren't keeping for the winter. Didn't get much at all for birds at the fall sale. Girls were trying to re-croop money for food, testing, purchasing fees and etc., from the birds that they had and shown. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Do you have other breeds as well?

At the Bloomsburg Fair, where we show, the girls can only show:– Black, –Black Breasted Red, -Golden Duckwing, – Silver Duckwing, and– White. Not that a lavender or two would be nice for color!

Back
Top Bottom