Araucana thread anyone?

So anything with a tail is not araucana? I got three tron our feed store. The lady said the hatchery said they are Araucana....but she couldn't remember the name of the hatchery. I guess they are EE's. That is ok....just want to know what they are.
They will not come from a feed store either.

Your hens are EEs--If you get on someones that has true Araucanas, you can have some withing a year usually. It is worth the wait for sure.

Last edited:
They will not come from a feed store either.

Your hens are EEs--If you get on someones that has true Araucanas, you can have some withing a year usually. It is worth the wait for sure.

I mostly just wanted to know what I have. I questioned the store lady because I had read here that usually they would be EE's. But she seemed very certain...which is probabaly what the hatchery told her. So being EE's means that they will not always lay blue or green eggs...is that right? I have one olive egger and was hoping for at least one more blue or green egg layer.
Thnx

I mostly just wanted to know what I have. I questioned the store lady because I had read here that usually they would be EE's. But she seemed very certain...which is probabaly what the hatchery told her. So being EE's means that they will not always lay blue or green eggs...is that right? I have one olive egger and was hoping for at least one more blue or green egg layer.
Thnx

EEs will lay mostly green now a days. They also lay Blue, brown and even pink!

Like an Easter Basket. They are fine chickens but not a pure breed.

Last edited:

I have a mixed breed flock. I get surprise genetics coming out all of the time. The only certain true full breed was some Faverolle of which my oldest hen just passed. This fella is definitely part Faverolle due to the fifth toe but note the lack of tail. I have had a few hens hatch with this same lack of tail. Is this Araucana genetics showing itself or can another breed type cause this?

He is about 4-5 months old.

Aloha,

There is a thread on this site that helps you sex your Eatser Eggers. As soon as the feathers come in, you can tell the sex. Check it out.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/463817/easter-egger-sexing-tips-and-tricks-pictures-included

You "Cannot" feather sex any chicks unless they are the breeds created specifically for feather sexing. That is s simple fact. You can get "lucky" since it's a 50/50 chance anyway but there are breeds that were created to be feather sexed, none of the others can reliably be feather sexed.

Vent sexing is an art. some people work on it for years to perfect it. On Araucana's, I have been lucky sometimes, to "guess" the sex by how heavy boned the cockerels are....then there will be some cockerels that are fine boned so again, not a perfect way to sex them. I can pretty much nail down the cockerels.....but some I would swear are the pullets, sometimes end up cockerels that are not the best quality.
With patterns, some can be sexed fairly accurate from the juvenile feathers but my blacks.....I wait till they crow or lay.

Aloha,

For the Easter Eggers, it seems that you can come pretty close to 100%. I was pretty good at it before. This is at like the 2 month mark, when they are fully feathered. Itʻs one of the cool things about Easter Eggers.

For Araucanas, I also like to look at the comb. If it has 3 rows, it might be a rooster.

Aloha, Puhi

Aloha,

For the Easter Eggers, it seems that you can come pretty close to 100%. I was pretty good at it before. This is at like the 2 month mark, when they are fully feathered. Itʻs one of the cool things about Easter Eggers.

For Araucanas, I also like to look at the comb. If it has 3 rows, it might be a rooster.

Aloha, Puhi
Araucana's were not bred for feather sexing. You can just close your eyes and guess and still get 50% correct, lol All proper pea combs have 3 rows. In cockerels I generally see 3 straight rows and generally they are wider at the base than pullets, in pullets, the rows are messy and not straight but that is Not 100% of the time so it's still just an educated guess, not accurate. In solid colors, it's a pretty accurate statement to say you have to wait for them to crow, lay an egg or for the cockerels saddle hackles to come in (they are pointy compared to the hens more rounded hackles.)

I have a mixed breed flock. I get surprise genetics coming out all of the time. The only certain true full breed was some Faverolle of which my oldest hen just passed. This fella is definitely part Faverolle due to the fifth toe but note the lack of tail. I have had a few hens hatch with this same lack of tail. Is this Araucana genetics showing itself or can another breed type cause this?

He is about 4-5 months old.
He could have one of the several genes that cause rumplessness or he could just be an Araucana cross.

Back
Top Bottom