Araucana thread anyone?

Question for the experts. I had a very sweet complaint letter about one of my girls "pooing" on my neighbors back porch and could I please fix the hole in my fence? I went out to be sure but no hole, so I waited till bedtime and went out with my big shears and trimmed wings ( it was about time anyway.)

While I was out there I noticed a little girl up in my peach tree. She did not look familiar... Here then is my question. Is she arcuna? She appears to be rumpless and I do not have any rumpless birds. I do however have some Americana and some beautiful easter egger muts. Also last summer one of my girls hatched a dozen of her own eggs outside of the fence. I brought them to the coop the day they hatched and blocked them off from the other chick's for their safety. We had a dog break into the coop while they were about two weeks old and then a possum when those chickens were 2 months old. Is it genetically possible that she is mine and just a recessive from some distant arcuna roots, or is it more likely that she found her way to us from somewhere else and is arcuna? (I can hear the nearest neighbor chickens, but I have not seen them and do not know exactly where they are.

Aloha,

I see partial tail, as in vertebrate without feathers. Looks like a pea comb. She looks like a layer aged hen so you could see if blue eggs are coming out. The head looks more Araucana than Ameraucauna. So my vote is at the least part Araucana. And a nice looking bird.

Aloha, Puhi

Question for the experts. I had a very sweet complaint letter about one of my girls "pooing" on my neighbors back porch and could I please fix the hole in my fence? I went out to be sure but no hole, so I waited till bedtime and went out with my big shears and trimmed wings ( it was about time anyway.)

While I was out there I noticed a little girl up in my peach tree. She did not look familiar... Here then is my question. Is she arcuna? She appears to be rumpless and I do not have any rumpless birds. I do however have some Americana and some beautiful easter egger muts. Also last summer one of my girls hatched a dozen of her own eggs outside of the fence. I brought them to the coop the day they hatched and blocked them off from the other chick's for their safety. We had a dog break into the coop while they were about two weeks old and then a possum when those chickens were 2 months old. Is it genetically possible that she is mine and just a recessive from some distant arcuna roots, or is it more likely that she found her way to us from somewhere else and is arcuna? (I can hear the nearest neighbor chickens, but I have not seen them and do not know exactly where they are.

Should could have some Araucana in her past. But without knowing for certain, that makes her a mixed breed. So basically an Easter Egger. Actual Araucanas (like the tufted gal in my avatar) are not very common. Your girl does have a lovely little pea comb and willow legs, both of which are part of Araucana standard.

Rumplessness is a dominant trait. Tails are recessive. So one of the two parents must be rumpless in order to pass it on. Perhaps your neighbor with chickens has a rumpless rooster and a hen of yours had a date?

If the no tail is dominant then I am going to say she is not originally mine and has just found her way here. I have several that lay blue eggs and I have all tails. Is the short tail dominant as well? I do think that she has somewhat of a tail bump, but it is noticeably different than all of my others. Also, I have not been able to catch her yet. She visits, but doesn't sleep in or on my coop with the rest. ( she sleeps in my peach tree) To catch her I may have to get the catch pole out and I hate that thing, although probably not as much as the chickens do ;-)

Aloha,

I believe that there may be more than one gene controlling rumplessness. One more pertaining to the vertebrate and the other pertaining to feathers. Maybe even a third gene?

Anybody?

Aloha, Puhi

Iʻm not sure why everyone went to Facebook, but I prefer this format myself. Thatʻs why I never gave up on this site and hopefully we can revive this thread. And I check it regularly.

Come on back guys!

Aloha, Puhi

Back
Top Bottom