Araucana thread anyone?

yes, they are.

I am trying to find out if I cross them with other colours what colours chickens might be.

Think you'll just get mixed colors no matter what you cross them with... they look like they had a black breasted red base, but they aren't correct for bbr... and as Araucanas they should have willow legs, not slate, so there might be something else already mixed into their background...

Hi everyone!

I have some questions:
I have two roos and several hens,

1-When I mate them to the rumpless roo their fertility is not so good, very bad actually, about a 20 to 30 %, except for the one half-tailed hen that has a 100% fertility.

2-When I change de roo and mate the hens to the tailed one, I get about a 95% fertility rate, the exact same flock of hens.

Does anyone know the reason for this?

PS: all hens are rumpless and one is half-tailed.

I agree, cut the feathers around the vent and it will help.

The rumpless birds have decreased balance when breeding since they are lacking a tail. It makes it more difficult for them to breed successfully.

My other hen finally started laying and gave me a beautiful blue egg this morning!!

Here is some good information to know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucana
You do know that Wikipedia information can be put on there by anyone and not be correct. The Araucana breed was developed in the US as a standardized breed, which is different than just having the landraces cross as they did sometimes in SA. Obviously, with the breeds used to make them being from the same general area, there are some natural and man made crosses that made tufted/rumpless in SA too but it was not a standardized cross even there. I'm on some SA groups and they are also expressing trouble with the tuft gene and have not bred the cross to make tufted/rumpless as a breed for any longer than they have been in the US.

You do know that Wikipedia information can be put on there by anyone and not be correct. The Araucana breed was developed in the US as a standardized breed, which is different than just having the landraces cross as they did sometimes in SA.  Obviously, with the breeds used to make them being from the same general area,  there are some natural and man made crosses that made tufted/rumpless in SA too but it was not a standardized cross even there.   I'm on some SA groups and they are also expressing trouble with the tuft gene and have not bred the cross to make tufted/rumpless as a breed for any longer than they have been in the US.

You do know that wiki requires you to cite all information and has teams of researchers double check the info if it's found wrong they give you 24-48 hours to correct it if it's not cited it's deleted in 8 hours

Back
Top Bottom