Araucana thread anyone?

Yes I have white araucana ! bantams and they have tails, their legs a blue gray in color and they are my best layers, nice blue and some light green, I bought eggs on ebay and hatched them out. when they hatched I thought this can not be, not everyone was white, some were light gray, yellow color. emailed the seller and she said check wing feathers, so I did...yep the wing tips were all white, and in 2 weeks I could not tell who was who, they were all white, they are my best layers, not real little egg's either
As you have found, white can hatch just about any color depending on whether they are recessive white or dominant white. The best whites are based on silver which your light grey ones most likely are.

However as others have pointed out, it seems you did not in fact purchase Araucana as Araucana are a rumpless breed. Araucana are also a yellow skinned breed which means their legs can only ever be 1 of 3 colors - yellow, willow, or black with yellow bottoms of the feet.

Every once in a while a tailed araucana will pop up as I even get them here and I have been breeding rumpless birds only for the past 7 years. However it is highly unlikely that you would hatch only tailed birds. Do your birds have beards and muffs? If so this would indicate to me that they are in fact either Ameraucana or Easter Eggers.

You are free to look at my website to see pictures of Araucana. www.cashsblueeggs.com

Lanae

Last edited:
Your right they are ameraucana, nice looking too. This spring I gathered their eggs, and they hatched true to the parents, white, silver, yellow than turned white, they do have muffs. These guys lay nice blue eggs also, just the right size for a boiled egg popper. If it stops raining I will try to get some pictures of them. I like your website Lanae, very nice. Bye

Sorry I found a person way back in this and was trying to respond to their mottled chicks.. But then after I posted it came to the end.. I'm sorry I'm new and clearly am still learning how to use this thing!

I have recently purchased two Rumples Araucana Pullets. Could anyone provide input on their coloring? I am completely new to this breed, your feedback is appreciated.

Thank you so much! I was hoping with the little light stripes on some of the black ones feathers would make her a Duckwing. Either way I think they are both pretty, and I love them both. They seem to be a little more timid than other breeds, so I make sure to handle them and love them everyday.

Thank you so much! I was hoping with the little light stripes on some of the black ones feathers would make her a Duckwing. Either way I think they are both pretty, and I love them both. They seem to be a little more timid than other breeds, so I make sure to handle them and love them everyday.
Yes, she is a heavily melanized duckwing. Many blacks are built on a wild type or duckwing base.

Lanae

My brother, Bruce is in Decatur, Al. headed to Collingsville, Al then Knoxville, then back to Mi. If I can find anyone with pullets or hens for sale along the way, he will bring them back for me.

I am looking for solid colors. Please call or text me. 810-706-0036 Laura

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom