Araucana thread anyone?

This is going to sound funny, but does anyone on here have a tailed, clean-face black or blue cockerel from birds with a good blue colored egg they would sell? I have a line of birds that were developed from an Araucana/Leghorn cross for a pea-combed, non-tufted, tailed blue egg layer. The gene pool is very limited, and I want to intensify the blue and diversify the genetics without all the issues that going back to the Leghorn would bring in.

Let me know. Thanks!

I have two Broodie's setting on black and blue bantam to LF Araucanas eggs right now. The sire is CF oversized black bantam. My bluest egg layer is one of the broodies so I don't have any of hers. I might have something available when these hatch and mature. I am also selling my Colloncas to Poularde. She is picking them up tomorrow. One DW cockerel, two Collonca pullets, and two Andes (tailed blue egg layers). They were hatched in October and just started laying AND the eggs are bluer than any of my Araucanas. I will be keeping two of the Andes to cross with my Araucana/Leghorn cockerel. They are splashes though. Just throwing options out there for you.

This is going to sound funny, but does anyone on here have a tailed, clean-face black or blue cockerel from birds with a good blue colored egg they would sell? I have a line of birds that were developed from an Araucana/Leghorn cross for a pea-combed, non-tufted, tailed blue egg layer. The gene pool is very limited, and I want to intensify the blue and diversify the genetics without all the issues that going back to the Leghorn would bring in.

Let me know. Thanks!
See reply above...

Let me know. Thanks!
There are a lot of Araucana's that don't lay the bluest egg and you can't know that any male is carrying the genes for the color you want so that can be a real gamble. You might consider the other way around and get a hen or two that are laying and laying the color you want. Breeding into white egg layers will very much dilute the egg color to a super pale blue. I was told by a breeder who isn't into Araucana's but very much into genetics and has written scientific papers on egg color this.

Thanks, smoothmule. I was trying to get the best diversity, but your suggestion might be better. These are to go over the "Arkansas Blue Egg Layers" that I got from Dr. Bramwell at the U of A. I would hate to introduce anything that would dilute or change the blue egg laying gene these carry because so far I haven't seen anything but a beautiful sky blue from them. It might be better to go with a pullet in order to make sure that the eggs she laid were blue. Then I could take a cockerel from her and the Blues over Blues pullets. It would take an extra generation to add the diversity but would ensure no muddying of the egg color. I would love to get a deeper blue and the gloss from the Araucana egg.

Now to find someone with a tailed, clean-faced black or blue pullet. I would prefer a blue or black because my current rooster is splash, and I have him over blue and splash hens. I lost my black. I don't want to dilute the feather color. As this picture shows my rooster is a very deep splash and throws offspring that are very brilliantly colored also.

Now back to Araucanas. Sorry to highjack the thread.

Looked at your birds and your starting prices were very reasonable. They would be very helpful for someone starting out.

Thank you. It would be a shame for them to go to "Chicken camp" so I thought I would see if anyone had a need. :)

Thanks, smoothmule. I was trying to get the best diversity, but your suggestion might be better. These are to go over the "Arkansas Blue Egg Layers" that I got from Dr. Bramwell at the U of A. I would hate to introduce anything that would dilute or change the blue egg laying gene these carry because so far I haven't seen anything but a beautiful sky blue from them. It might be better to go with a pullet in order to make sure that the eggs she laid were blue. Then I could take a cockerel from her and the Blues over Blues pullets. It would take an extra generation to add the diversity but would ensure no muddying of the egg color. I would love to get a deeper blue and the gloss from the Araucana egg.

Now to find someone with a tailed, clean-faced black or blue pullet. I would prefer a blue or black because my current rooster is splash, and I have him over blue and splash hens. I lost my black. I don't want to dilute the feather color. As this picture shows my rooster is a very deep splash and throws offspring that are very brilliantly colored also.

Now back to Araucanas. Sorry to highjack the thread.

I might have something. Let me check and I will get back with you today.

Sorry, nothing seems to fit the bill. I thought i might have a black tailed, no tufts, etc., and i did but has leakage and looking more like a roo too lol. Sorry!

Back
Top Bottom