Araucana thread anyone?

The SOP for ameraucanas requires slate legs (white skin); the SOP for araucanas requires yellow or willow (depends on variety) legs (yellow skin).  This has nothing to do with egg colour; both breeds lay blue, not green eggs.  That said, the distinction between what one perceives as blue vs green is very individual.

Agreed. I have many shades of blue... my ideal blue is like Robin eggs. I do have an EE that lays a beautiful olive grey... but it's not olive green. Agreed again about the names. I had no idea, before joining BYC, that what we call ameracauna are a type of EE that conforms to an ideal type but is also an aracauna in UK and Australia. Then there are our crosses between coloncas (tufts) and quetros (rumpless) that we call aracauna, where as UK has their own rumpless bird, Manx Rumpy. Domesticated fowl have followed with every travel human kind has taken throughout history. Maybe the tracking of chicken history can help to track our own?

Why is it that the rumpless roos have the dirtiest backsides while the rumpless hens are beautiful and fluffy?
I do believe that's true of all males whether they are roos, pigs, goats, cows, or humans. They care way less abut personal hygiene than females of the same species do... There are exceptions to be sure but it seems to me like the roos are too busy chasing tail to care about the mess on their backsides. hahaha

Rumpless roos seem to have a harder time because the tail feathers hang down so low over the vent. If you don't intend to show then you could trim the vent area to make it easier for the area to stay clean.

I do believe that's true of all males whether they are roos, pigs, goats, cows, or humans. They care way less abut personal hygiene than females of the same species do... There are exceptions to be sure but it seems to me like the roos are too busy chasing tail to care about the mess on their backsides. hahaha 

Rumpless roos seem to have a harder time because the tail feathers hang down so low over the vent. If you don't intend to show then you could trim the vent area to make it easier for the area to stay clean.

I buzz all my boys hair, so I just got quite the mental image!

I buzz all my boys hair, so I just got quite the mental image!

Hahaha I can imagine the image. It must have looked something like this....

yes, I watch way too much Disney
gig.gif

My girls are filthy, too. Most of them get "haircuts" since I can't stand the dingleberries on their feathers.

I got a new rumpless baby. Hoping it is a pullet! None of my birds have tufts, but this baby is gorgeous!

Back
Top Bottom