Araucana thread anyone?

How are everyone's Araucanas? @Brahma Chicken5000 have your girls started laying yet? I have a few hens whose combs are turning red. Hoping they will start up soon. Usually it is the end of January when everyone starts back up, but we have had a lot of sunny days here lately (very unusual for an Indiana winter), which keeps the evenings lighter longer, so I'm hoping that speeds up the laying.

I've decided to sell my pretty little black double tufted pullet Alice (Triton x Lucy chick) to the lady I bought Cholo from. She has had no luck hatching chicks with tufts the past few years, and last summer she lost her 17 year old hen which was really hard on her. I really don't have a place for Alice and I know Cholo's first mom will give her a good home.
Uno is still semi-broody. She's off the nest about half the day, making her clucking noises while walking around all fluffed up and brutally rebuffing Cholo's advances.

@Frazzemrat1 We need more pictures of your Araucanas!

I need to be down there when its still daylight!! LOL But you're right, I do need to get some more pics. LOL
I haven't let them free range the back yard in a while, we've had a fox hanging around the neighborhood. I've heard her (?) calling in the evenings, so no loose chickens for a while. At least until I know she's moved on, or what. SIGH If it is a female, then its the mating season right now, so I'll probably have kits in the neighborhood soon too. Guess we won't be free ranging for a while.

I need to be down there when its still daylight!! LOL But you're right, I do need to get some more pics. LOL
I haven't let them free range the back yard in a while, we've had a fox hanging around the neighborhood. I've heard her (?) calling in the evenings, so no loose chickens for a while. At least until I know she's moved on, or what. SIGH If it is a female, then its the mating season right now, so I'll probably have kits in the neighborhood soon too. Guess we won't be free ranging for a while.
UGH! FOX ARE THE WORST! Even with penned up chickens. Keep a watchful eye on your flock. They can dig, jump, and squeeze through small openings.

UGH! FOX ARE THE WORST! Even with penned up chickens. Keep a watchful eye on your flock. They can dig, jump, and squeeze through small openings.

Well, I currently have the flock contained to the 'main' run, which is chain link sunk into concrete, and roofed. I have it well padded with pine shavings. They are safe there, but its just not as big of an area.

Got my first blue egg of 2020! I’m thinking it’s from Looloo as she is squatting.
10D6FCD9-E097-45BC-B4F8-4294F838156D.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom