Araucana thread anyone?

My eggs hatched a day early. So I have 4 cute little babies. All appear to be rumpless. Someone in the Araucana groups on FB said they appear to all be pullets since they would only carry one copy of the barring gene. Mom was CCL, dad was my SDW Araucana. Unfortunately my son wasn't paying attention to the outside and the other two didn't pass on the message and both mom and dad of the babies are now deceased. I now only have one Araucana pullet left, out of the 5 I started with.

That also left me with only 1 chicken in total until the babies hatched. I grabbed a couple of golden comments over the weekend from a trusted breeder so my pullet wouldn't be alone for 8 plus weeks.

I'm sad, my beautiful roo that I wanted to use for breeding won't be able to make any beautiful baby full Araucana.

I did put a deposit down on hatching eggs with Ann Charles for the spring though, hopefully I'll get some more again. If not, I'll just keep what I've got.

Here's the babies.

Attachments

• IMG_20200114_200210.jpg
    IMG_20200114_200210.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200114_200204.jpg
    IMG_20200114_200204.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 7
My eggs hatched a day early. So I have 4 cute little babies. All appear to be rumpless. Someone in the Araucana groups on FB said they appear to all be pullets since they would only carry one copy of the barring gene. Mom was CCL, dad was my SDW Araucana. Unfortunately my son wasn't paying attention to the outside and the other two didn't pass on the message and both mom and dad of the babies are now deceased. I now only have one Araucana pullet left, out of the 5 I started with.

That also left me with only 1 chicken in total until the babies hatched. I grabbed a couple of golden comments over the weekend from a trusted breeder so my pullet wouldn't be alone for 8 plus weeks.

I'm sad, my beautiful roo that I wanted to use for breeding won't be able to make any beautiful baby full Araucana.

I did put a deposit down on hatching eggs with Ann Charles for the spring though, hopefully I'll get some more again. If not, I'll just keep what I've got.

Here's the babies.
Awww, what exactly happened to your Araucanas? That is awful you lost them. I am so sorry.

Awww, what exactly happened to your Araucanas? That is awful you lost them. I am so sorry.
My new 30 lb puppy. I knew it was going to take some training, and quite possibly an e-collar. The collar was charging, and the chickens were free ranging. Puppy was only supposed to be outside on a leash. That obviously was not heeded. My fault in the long run, just a carless mistake on my son's part.

Anyone have pics of Silver duckwing pullets? I want to see what my babies might look like grown up. According to the genetics calculator they will all be silver duckwings, whether male or female.

I have 3 dark and 3 light striped chicks. Not a single one has a dot on their heads. I find it unbelievable that out of 6 eggs I hatched out all pullets. I mean who gets that lucky?

Do they really only have 1 copy of the barred gene?

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_175532.jpg
    IMG_20200118_175532.jpg
    584 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200118_175524.jpg
    IMG_20200118_175524.jpg
    634.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20200114_200210.jpg
    IMG_20200114_200210.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20200114_200204.jpg
    IMG_20200114_200204.jpg
    597.6 KB · Views: 3
Anyone have pics of Silver duckwing pullets? I want to see what my babies might look like grown up. According to the genetics calculator they will all be silver duckwings, whether male or female.

I have 3 dark and 3 light striped chicks. Not a single one has a dot on their heads. I find it unbelievable that out of 6 eggs I hatched out all pullets. I mean who gets that lucky?

I am not an expert but I don't think that duckwing should have a dot if male.

What's the parentage? No dot, no barring gene. They go hand in hand and you can't have one without the other.
If one of the parents was barred/cuckoo then to be sex linked (if that was what you were going for) the mother would have to be the barred/cuckoo one.

Back
Top Bottom