Araucana thread anyone?

I'll try to get better photo's for you and hopefully you can help me out with this one
wink.png

Quote:
Ohh Also, I am soo done hatching Araucana's this year. If anyone is interested in getting some eggs from me I am collecting at least a dozen a day. It's a shame to sell them for eating eggs knowing some babies can be had by some.

Anyone interested pop me a P.M. I know they are definitely fertile b/c everyday I turn around a new baby is under a broody
barnie.gif
I keep whispering to the girls "No More Babies, No More Babies...." I just wish they would catch on to my request!!!

I also have a spare Lavender Rumpless clean faced cockrel. I only want him to go to someone that will use him for breeding. He is 12 weeks old now
smile.png

Illia,
Can you explain what colors are based on what gene? Duckwing is e+/e+? What are the other colors or point me in the direction where I can find that out. That is what I was asking about earlier. It must be great to know that your chick is perfect gene wise so that it should breed true, unlike my little mix. My goal is to be headed in that direction with less mixed up genes.

Quote:
Crow wing is a new term for me
big_smile.png
so many new things to learn! Thank you for breaking down what he is in such detail. I am almost certain Abe hatched from eggs that came from you! And here I thought he already was incredibly handsome, he'll just keep getting better it seems
lol.png

I still personally want to see someone prove to me that there are actually crowwing (Birchen) Araucanas out there. Cross a few to a duckwing and tell me, did ALL turn out still looking like Birchen or were there some duckwing-esque birds? Do they all breed true if bred Birchen to Birchen?

I don't mean to offend or anything, I've just never seen a true breeding Birchen Araucana. However I've seen plenty and do have myself some birchen mocking E/e+ Araucanas. (half duckwing half black)

If there are indeed true Birchens out there that's great!
smile.png
I'd love to be wrong, considering that means there's a whole new world of colors you can use with the Crowwing/Birchen base.

Rumbull -

These are some common and uncommon genes in the Araucanas I've known.

Ml/Ml - Melanizer. This shows up as extra spangling or partially lacing on the bird. In duckwings it shows up on the chest, usually in the same color as the hackle, like here -

5146423097_80712457d6_z.jpg

Co/Co - Columbian. This is also common in Easter Eggers too; in duckwings it reverses the color of males and in females it darkens the top, increasing the patterning, and lightens and uniforms the bottom. A gold duckwing male with Columbian will instead be black in the hackle/saddle, and yellow and white in the breast and thighs. A BBR with Columbian will instead look much like a Buff Columbian, but red and black. Shown here is a blue-golden duckwing. However with Columbian, the blue is in the saddle and hackle instead of the breast, and the lemon yellow coloration is in the breast and thighs.

4996328998_197f571854_z.jpg

Mh/Mh - Mahogany. Basically turns a normal golden/brown bird a nice deep red color, like that of a Speckled Sussex or Rhode Island Red. Shown here is a male with mahogany. His brother is shown in comparison who does not have Mahogany.

5597244482_777ea6855c_z.jpg

5597243962_fdca585217_z.jpg

B/B - Barring. Although in Araucanas, true crisp barring is uncommon to extinct, the Cuckoo pattern is not. Many, many owners think their Cuckoo patterned birds are something else (mottled, splash, etc) - They're actually a well diluted Cuckoo, hidden amongst many other genes like blue, splash, duckwing, melanizer, etc. As the bird is born, it is born with a faint pale spot on the head, an easy indicator of barring, and as the bird matures, it first looks well barred, then disappears to a weird mish-mash of colors. All dependant on how far from a true Cuckoo the bird has been bred.

Young bird with decent barring:

4556459838_f426dcaa2d_o.jpg

Semi-adult bird with faint barring.

4996329360_e04e840988_z.jpg

Adult bird, same one as previous photos, with very poor, practically non-existent barring.

5998420083_1a212ef394_z.jpg

Some other things of note -

This is straight up duckwing. e+/e+

6105249400_e4f08761a5_z.jpg

This is straight up solid black (or splash, or blue) E/E

6105249690_e7047a4793_z.jpg

This is half and half. E/e+ - It mocks Crowwing (E^R/E^R) pretty well, no matter if it is Brown-Red or Birchen or "golden" (both silver and gold, which is pictured)

You can recognized it the same way as Crowwing (aka Birchen, Brown-Red, Black Copper) by the bird being black/blue/splash with silver/gold/red in the hackle, saddle, and shoulders of the wing but NOT the secondary feathers in the wing.

5597252828_3f3a60764f_z.jpg

Most Araucanas are either E/e+, E/E, or e+/e+

Lavender, Blue, Mottled, Splash, Black, and Cuckoo are all E/E

Duckwing, Quail, Ginger, and Red are all e+/e+ however a true Red needs E^Wh, (Wheaten) and I believe there is such thing in Araucanas but it is rare.

My only experience has been with my roo. He is in a pen with a silver duckwing and a black. He and the black have produced all black. None with any leakage. 20 chicks various ages from that cross, all black. He and my silver duckwing have produced only crow wing period. No duckwings, they all look like Papa except the girls that are variations on the birchen or brown red hen color. None have been duckwing-esque. I have about 15 roos running around.

I have 1 roo from the birchen to silver duckwing breeding that is in my Easter Egger project pen. So far all his chicks are black, but that is to be expected. All the hens in that pen are black.

There are enough color introductions being made by various breeders that I would be surprised if it wasnt out there.

This is my guy. He is a combo between silver and the orange color of the brown reds His hackle, saddle and wing bows are gold. He has too much lacing on the chest, his lower breast should be black, and his shoulders are gold and should be black, but color wise he reads like a birchen X brown red cross. His primaries and secondaries are black no gold.

19098_01-31-2011_071.jpg

19098_01-31-2011_075.jpg

Lanae

wasn't sure were to post this,

we have some free Lavender completely rumpless cockerels available to anyone within driving distance. no shipping on these young birds.. No heat required for these.
i also have 2 that are tailed might be great for other projects.. all are clean faced..these are all 4th gene culls..will be taking some to local auctions as well.
pm me for direction for pick up..

thanks

Hoping you can help me determine sex on these 7 1/2 week bantam Araucanas:

82974_1.jpg

82974_2.jpg

82974_3_largest.jpg

82974_4.jpg

82974_5_roo.jpg

If I need better photos let me know
smile.png

Thanks for the help....need to get rid of any roos asap!

kristen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom