Araucana thread anyone?

Good luck with your hatch...we of course want pics..
wink.png

Quote:

Congratulations Illia. Hoping you get many more.

I just went and looked at all my cuckoo chicks. I have 1 dark cuckoo cleanfaced and 4 light cuckoo double tufted. All have yellow legs except 1 ( I'm hoping roo chick) It has mint green legs. I want to breed it back to the moms and see if I can get the cuckoo to darken up. So far I have had two dark cuckoos hatch this year, the rest have been light.

Lanae

Quote:
Yep double yolkers, some were even fused together, i took photos some where... hope she knocks it off by spring lol.

I have one tailed blue hen and yes she has one heck of a tail, wide and long!

One more hatched out and that's it. Candled the third, looks like it failed days ago (probably when the power went out a couple days ago; some fisherman ran into a post) Yeah only three. I know, lame. But my girls are on a serious molt fest now.

The second one is a perfectly striped duckwing, very beautiful and very similar, a copy really except for the tufts, to my golden duckwing cockerel (who's its full brother)

The first one is fluffy and dry now, and a very pale striped blue duckwing. VERY pale. I'm thinking it's carrying Columbian. Normally blue duckwings still have very noticeable stripes, but this one looks like someone took a blue chick, washed it out a little, then painted very faint thick stripes on it.

Come to think of it, maybe I'm wrong. Marango (daddy, a blue-columbian duckwing) was much darker. He looked honestly like a dark blue with a red face. And him x a non-blue should just make dark blues and blacks. Hmm.

I'll find out in the future.

Oh, and my chocolate and white chick mentioned earlier (the olive egger) - Got a second one! Both are clean legged too, which means both must have the same mom, which means mom has some "explaining to do"
wink.png

Yesterday I lost my best araucana roo...Don't know what happened...I had just noted to myself how beautiful and red his comb was, and how he was the picture of health..he probably weighed over five lbs, and he was six months old. Big, beautiful boy! I had such high hopes for him. I had seen him about 40 minutes before I found him still warm, just lying there..Not a feather out of place, no marks, no blood. Only thing I can think of is he choked on something, or he was snake-bit. I really am sad.
sad.png

Also I had my back door open at this time, and none of the chickens sounded an alarm. When I found him, the other chicks were acting normal, not clumped up, like they would be if a predator was near.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom