Araucana thread anyone?

Quote:
Norma,

I live in Southeast Georgia and here the Georgia Poultry Lab will test any dead birds for you to insure there is not a disease that would harm the Poultry industry in the area.

I spoke with Jennifer at the Fla. Dept. Ag. and she said next time you have one die and do not know the reason you may want to contact her to have the Bird tested. In Georgia it is done for Free I am not sure about Florida. Jennifer's contact info is below:

Jennifer Jennings-Glover
Poultry Program Administrator
Division of Animal Industry
Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
Phone: 850-251-1226
Fax: 850-921-3647
Please note new e-mail address and website:
E-mail: [email protected]
Web Site: www.freshfromflorida.com/ai

Sometimes
they Just Die. Good luck and if you need Rooster I have way too many and need to get rid of some soon.

Norma,
I'm so sorry, goodness you have had a run of bad luck this year. I hope 2012 turns out much better. Don't give up
smile.png

Illia,
Congrats, wish you had more hatch but getting just one really nice chick is worth the effort.

Stacykins,
You are right, looks a lot like Degas. I have a son by him that is identical to your cockerel. Illia, what color is he??? I have been holding on to that cockerel cause he's just really nice but I don't know what to do with him. He's actually got a better conformation than his dad, he's rumpless and clean faced. What color would he be useful to breed to? duckwing or bbr? and what should a hen look like that would match him? Stacy, what do you plan to breed him with colorwise?

Cathy

Just lost my first 2 chickens to what I believe was a raccoon. Heads eaten off, and all innards eaten. Found one under a tree where the crazy bird insisted on roosting instead of the coop. The other was a pretty little cockrel Araucan that I had hopes to use as a breeder. I found him on the floor of the coop.. First year with chickens. I already miss my pretty boy..
sad.png
Imma kill me a coon !!!! Grrrr !!
somad.gif

Quote:
Breeding wise, I don't have too much to choose from. I have a tufted black girl with a bit of silver in her neck ruff and a silver duckwing that are probably the best matches for him. But at this time I only have one coop, and my splash cockerel is dominant to him (despite being a lot smaller).

Quote:
Oh no! It is so maddening, the constant battle with the predators!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so sorry you lost your birds. So sorry.
I'm sure you realize that once they find you it just gets harder from there..... If you were able to fudge on security before this point, no more. They will be back.
Good luck catching the creature that did this.
A couple of weeks ago I woke up, went out to take care of the coops, and my two flock guardian dogs came bounding up to me, happy as could be, and tossed a dead raccoon at my feet. A few months ago it was a dead skunk. I LOVE MY ANITOLIAN SHEPHERDS! We battled so long and so hard against the fox and the raccoons; now we have our two dogs, they do all the battling for us and love the entire process.

What color are the true Araucana's legs? Are they different colors? I am just learning the breed, sorry if its a dumb question.
Thanks
Rita

Back
Top Bottom