Araucana thread anyone?

Just curious, does anyone know why white araucana should have yellow legs instead of willow? Does white have an inhibitor of dermal melanin like the barring gene does?

Well, I thought I knew the answer to that, but in getting ready to type up a response I realize that I'm not sure if "skin" color is the same as "leg" color. ???? yellow is the basic, foundation color for the Araucana, and I have been assuming that that was the same as saying that the yellow was the basic leg color for Araucanas. If it is so, as I have been thinking, then I believe that yellow is the simple, unaltered leg color and when you add the color genes to get different color varieties, it mixes colors with the yellow and gives willow, swarthy horn, etc..... If I've got this wrong, I'd love to be corrected.

"Aratoo", the rooster I got from Amy Nadine at Spring Break is acting as though he doesn't feel peppy like he normally does.

He's in the same tractor with his two Leghorn hens.
He's getting fresh grass and weeds when I move them everyday.
I haven't changed foods.
He free ranged from April until August.
Do you think the change of weather is making him want to get out?

Or am I just over reacting? I'd hate for him to be ill and I'm missing it. Any suggestions for food treats to perk him up?

Quote:
If he is acting off, he may be getting sick or has a high worm load. When was he last wormed?

If he has been wormed, Amy Nadine did it before I got him. He still isn't a year old. I think. Lol.

Thank you. I hope it is something simple like that.

Quote:
They should be willow in most colors (a dusty green color, yellow soles) however Cuckoos, Splashes, and Whites are allowed yellow legs.

If you're new to breeds, my best advice though is to first look at the difference of Easter Eggers vs Araucanas vs Ameraucanas.
smile.png
With that difference in mind, most people will also tell you the permitted leg colors, since it is an important thing in the three.

Had a good laugh today. My splash cockerel Ambrose just tried getting randy with my australorp pullet. She did NOT approve, and he was shamed, the poor boy
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom