Araucana thread anyone?

They're going bye-bye.
sad.png
I've got a couple girls left (for egg production) and a 2 mo. old cockerel and that's all. Family decided to reduce the entire chicken population down to just the list, and even my Buffs I had to fight for keeping them here.

I may hopefully possibly be able to keep the cockerel and start breeding again this spring, but,
idunno.gif

Hi everyone, I've got a lovely Araucana boy called King Bertie.
IMG_7080.jpg

He's just become a daddy for the first time.
I had heard that araucanas could be a bit skittish, but since he was hatched I knew he was a keeper as he's so gentle. He loves getting cuddles!

Quote:
Don't know where you heard that but welcome to the Araucana thread!
smile.png
We don't get many UK type Araucana owners here, it's nice to see a little global diversity. Seems Lavender is a really common color there? Almost all Araucanas I see these days from Aussie or the UK are Lavenders.

Quote:
Don't know where you heard that but welcome to the Araucana thread!
smile.png
We don't get many UK type Araucana owners here, it's nice to see a little global diversity. Seems Lavender is a really common color there? Almost all Araucanas I see these days from Aussie or the UK are Lavenders.

Yes, I was just looking at the American standards from the link in this thread, and Bertie looks quite different! In New Zealand he's considered a good one
smile.png
honest!

He is lovely. I must have been wrong, because I thought that even in the overseas Araucana, pea comb was the standard.
I really like his face, and his stance is to die for. Doe you have any Araucana girls?
It is so much fun to have you here, with your New Zealand boy!

Illia - what horrendous news. I'm sick to my stomach thinking of you without your Araucana flock. Which girls did you get to keep?

Quote:
we don't seem to have quite the same variety. Small country I suppose? But the ones with all the lovely different colours on them ~ I've never seen one of them here at all. They're gorgeous.
Yeah
smile.png
New Zealand is pretty amazing. I've lived here for 6 years now, I'm originally from Scotland.

I think you may be right. He's not for showing or anything. He just hatched like this last summer, out of 4 all 4 were boys and a couple of them had rose combs ( is that the same as a pea comb? I was so hoping for at least one girl. They are incredibly hard to get in NZ unless you hatch them yourself, but even finding fertile eggs as far north as I am is hard.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom