Araucana thread anyone?

I have some really nice light cuckoo double tufted pullets out of this years pen. I am hoping for a cuckoo roo, but the ding dong that I am sold the only cuckoo roo chick I have gotten this year. He was tufted also.

I do have a tufted splash roo that throws crele, that I will probably breed them to. Next year will be interesting.

Lanae

I have some with the crele coloring too. I am going to breed blue cuckoo to blue cuckoo, they should be old enough soon.
I have about 15 in various stages of cuckoo now. I am hoping these young ones are going to finally give me what I am looking for. I also have 2 chicks that look to be paints. They hatched out with a couple of dots. I had some paint Ameraucana chicks that I sold because they were "recessive white" Oh I could kick myself now!
he.gif

Hi guys!!
frow.gif
Ray n Debi that is a gorgeous color/pattern! I never mind when I get something different than the standard. They can be the coolest.

Illia, I'm so sorry you're out of the Araucana business
hmm.png
that doesn't mean you can't hang with us here. I always seem to have weird colors I need help. Here's one I think I've asked about here. I really thought he was just in juvenile ducking pattern feathering. Then it seemed like he was not changing color like I expected and time went on...and on....and on..... This cockerel is at least 8 or 9 months now so I'm no longer expecting him to moult and get his adult feathers in but what the Heck is his color? ???? You know, he's a nice cockerel. Good weight, nice sized. Rumpless and clean faced and has a nice look to him but I can't get past his color and pattern. It's driving me nuts, I keep looking at him everyday thinking he will look different, what do you see?

01Nov2011141.jpg

01Nov2011142.jpg

Here is a cockerel the same age who is maturing nicely. He is a son of Degas and looks just like Degas other than being clean faced. I've named him Rodin and I call him Rod to follow the name thing, Degas was an Impressionist artist and this guys half brother by Degas is named Matisse (Ann Horsman's rooster)

01Nov2011130.jpg

Here is Obsidian (Oby). He was "just one of the girls" in the black hens pen until he suddenly developed into a more mature looking cockerel. I had been watching for a nice black rooster for my black hens pen to buy and had no idea he was a cockerel. He's clean faced/rumpless, his legs are swarthy but the amount of black over the yellow is minimal. He has a few tiny white areas but I'm hoping they will moult out later. He's only 8 months or so but he's suddenly developed and he's one big boy, very heavy, very large compared to the others and thick boned. If he had tufts, I'd really be in business. Oh, and I Love the green sheen he has too, that seems to have recently "blossomed" as well.

01Nov2011151.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Cathy, how you been?

I like the overall shape of the first roo. He holds himself well. Color wise, I have no clue.

Happy to see this thread active again. Its that time of year when everyone is busy getting themselves and theirs ready for winter.

Lanae

Finally I got my first araucana chickens. A show quality bantam pair and a cute light blue clean faced pullet.
I will post some pictures soon.
Thanks to Cynthia Smith for selling me these beautiful birds.

araucanahenMedium.jpg

This is the double tufted hen.
will post other pics soon!

Last edited:
I was reading the Richmond, Virginia, craigslist and saw "true rumpless Araucanas". I was SO excited. Then I realized they were bantams. The boy I got from Amy Nadine is large fowl. I wrote the guy back and declined to go see them. Bummer.

If anyone else is interested, the ad was posted on November 13 or 14.

Time for more chicken chores. Hope everyone is having decent weather!

Back
Top Bottom